Thursday, October 6, 2016

long live DIY



When I first started blogging, DIY culture was prevalent but as blogging became a profession the focus transitioned from handmade to looking professional. Making things yourself can be incredibly rewarding though, so I wanted to revisit the good ol' days (cause you know, I'm out of touch with the kids and generally cranky) by sharing some of my own DIY projects.

Exhibit A: DIY rose brooch made from fabric flowers I bought from the thrift store. I had the badge backings lying around in my room, but you could use any small pin or brooch you're looking to upcycle.

Exhibit B: crochet square handbag. The bag is faux leather and came with a hair dryer that never quite tickled my fancy. I decided a new lick of paint (or in this case, a crochet square) would renew my love for it. And ya know what? It worked. 

Exhibit C: paper origami pikachu. Sadly I can't take credit for this DIY, it was actually given to me by a friend from work for my birthday. Sometimes the best handmade things are acquired through exchanges with other creatives and talented people.

3 comments:

  1. Did you make those shoes? They are incredible. And yeah, totally agree--trying to wear more DIY pieces these days. Down with professional looks, tbh.

    xx
    scarlettandgiselle.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I made the shoes! But I definitely want to try- they were made by the fabulous Rachel Burke of I Make it, You Wear it from Brisbane, Australia. She does styling for a magazine called Frankie too :)

      Delete
  2. dude i love diy stuff, i still trrryyyy to do some, but i get unmotivated. I used to loooovvveeee making things. there are very very cute, especially that pink rose pin!!!!

    ReplyDelete