Friday, July 8, 2016

The Dinosaur Museum

Wearing: MarinaFini earrings, Kit Neale jacket, Romance Was Born top, Asos skirt and Dr Martens boots.

It's been a while since I actually left the house to chronicle and archive an outfit, as well as my time spent living in this beautiful part of the country. Everywhere you look, you find the iconic dark red of the Australian desert intermingled with scrub-like vegetation and the soil. Out here, it's mainly flat but occasionally you stumble across the odd mountain range formed through erosion. It's on one of these mountains that the Australian Age of Dinosaurs Museum of Natural History was built. I've been a tour guide at the museum for roughly four months, but decided to play tourist my boyfriend visited me from Melbourne. 

 


Here I am with the vertebrae of a long-necked dinosaur we call Dixie! I literally touch this dinosaur bone every day at work, so it's kind of not a big deal anymore but it's cool to have my photo taken with them dressed like a 1980s pop star (I was just really excited about colour and this jacket tbh).
 







Also, I normally don't post things about my personal life on here, but it seemed fitting to acknowledge that my long-term boyfriend and I broke up and follow that up with Mike Myers giving a thumbs up. Things get better, then they get worse, then better and worse. And then better in different ways. 






Unlike many other natural history museums, at the Australian Age of Dinosaurs, most of the specimens you see on display are authentic fossils. During a tour of the lab, visitors have the opportunity to touch real dinosaur bone, as well as petrified wood and ancient fossil shell beds. Another important aspect of this tour is watching the volunteers working away to remove the rock which surrounds each bone.







The second part of the tour consists of a visit to the museum's collection/ holotype room. A holotype is the type specimen used to describe a brand new species of animal, and it's incredibly rare that these fossils are on display at all. The three dinosaurs currently on display in the collection room are Australovenator wintonensis, Diamantinasaurus matildae and 'Elliot'. The museum hopes to have a new dinosaur on display when the scientific paper announcing its discovery gets published. It's strange to think that a small country town has the richest deposit of Australian dinosaur fossils in the world, and more incredibly, a local farmer who discovered dinosaur bone has championed the creation of a museum which celebrates the unique natural history of this continent. Working at the museum is truly special, and I hope to work there for many years to come.
 




No comments:

Post a Comment