Monday, March 28, 2016

Science is Golden




























Before moving from Melbourne to Winton, I became obsessed with filling the pages of this particular journal with as many science factoids and dreamy landscapes as humanly possible. I'm a geologist and paleontologist, so naturally these two were at the forefront of its creation but there's some geography and biology thrown in there for good measure. There's also an excerpt from a book I acquired in a library sale from David Attenborough, which was so eloquent I had to include it. Initially I wanted to create a journal which specifically celebrated the beauty of science and combine Wes Anderson aesthetics with the natural world. The people who inspire me most and who I look up to are typically creatives or bossed up women who run their own companies, design, create jewellery and write. But there's a huge division between living artistically and science. Furthermore, science is often sold to the public with a clinical approach blurring the lines between pragmatism and a disconnect between human emotion. But if you speak to scientists, they are often some of the most passionate and fulfilled people on the planet. 

7 comments:

  1. Wow, what a cool journal, and beautiful words! thanks for sharing :)

    Moth And Poppy

    ReplyDelete
  2. gorgeous pictures!
    http://britishmermaid.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE THIS!
    Happy New Week!
    xoxo Suzy ( ˘ ³˘)♥
    THE KAWAII PLANET

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful post, love it! :)
    Could you click on the links in this post (dress, bag and "Banggood")? I try to cooperate and I would be grateful for the help :)
    I encourage you to follow for follow, too :)

    http://veronicalucy.blogspot.com/2016/03/banggood-outfit.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love how you combine science and aesthetic so perfectly. It doesn't make sense, seeing as the natural world is so beautiful, but often science is not thought of for beauty. I personally don't enjoy science in school, but that is mostly because my classes focus on memorizing facts and formulas in order to pass tests, rather than learning about the true beauty and magic that can be found within the scientific world. Brilliant post!
    Sophia
    http://plaidismyfavouritecolour.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete