Wednesday, June 24, 2015

Dream Cave







Wearing: Josh Goot dress, Perks and Mini hat and Rubi shoes platforms.
 

So I've mentioned a bunch of times that I'm a geologist and specifically a palaeontologist but I've never really showed off any knowledge. It's only now that through obsessively thinking about the importance of science communication in society that I've wanted to combine my love of science with fashion and creating interesting outfits. When I talk to my friends from geology they all talk about collecting rocks from their field area or places they've been, but what draws them in is an aesthetic taste. Obviously they also understand the theoretical framework and environment in which those rocks forms which enhances their understanding but fundamentally they like the shiny pretty things. I've also come to understand how important it is to break the construct of a scientist. Ultimately I want to change the way people come to view and interact with scientists, and in particular encourage young girls and women to pursue a career in science.

5, 10, 12, 21, 27- Glitterous Clitoris. 2-
Kentallenite in cross polarized light. 3- via. 6- Olivine teschenite thin section in cross-polarized light. 9- Metamorphic rocks in Canada, by Les Palenik. 13- Gassets Schist in cross polarized light. 16- Gneiss. 17- high-pressure schist in cross-polarized light via KLKGeo. 20- Kentallenite in cross-polarized light. 23- Kentallenite in cross-polarized light. 24 & 26- Migmatite in the Sand River, South Africa shot by Pierre Thomas for Planet Terre. 30- Leucogranite via University of Maryland.

12 comments:

  1. No WAY! This is so awesome. I didn't realize you were a geologist, and paleontologist! That is so super rad. I spent a lot of time in New Mexico while growing up and I feel like there's a lot of paleontology things a happenin' there!! Wow. That's seriously so COOL. Way to go. WAY to go.
    :D
    I actually totally thought about New Mexico when I saw this dress, and then you posted pictures of places that look just like where I spent SO much of my childhood. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you thank you thank you Isabel- I adore your blog and instagram feed and love what you do!
      Also there's definitely a low of cool palaeo stuff in New Mexico, although my research group focuses on Antarctica, Australia and a little bit of New Zealand :)

      Thanks so much for telling me about the landscape you remember from your childhood as well, that made me ridiculously giddy and happy as a big geology dork <3

      Delete
  2. I absolutely love this post you look so awesome! The pics and your look are so cool!!!

    Love love love!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. this is way cool! aside from these photos being incredibly intriguing, i love how you combined your studies with your outfits. i'm a mechanical engineering major, i wonder if i can do anything with that...

    http://hellokuo.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMG YES! I would love to hear more about mechanical engineering combined with fashion blogging :)

      Delete
  4. I think it's amazing that you are a palaeontologist and how you want to encourage women to pursue a career in science. Also your outfit is amazing as usual! x
    fashionismyfirstlanguage.blogspot.ie

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this post and your dress!! Nature is awesome. Science is cool and you go, girl!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Science is so cool and pretty too? Like, ridiculously so? I love art and stuff but my god the Earth is beautiful

      Delete
  6. Wow your pictures are wonderful
    http://lelostyle.blogspot.fr

    ReplyDelete
  7. my reaction reading this: :O whoa this is a side of adele i haven't seen before.. and i like it ;3 omg it's me :O :O i like how the way you've been expressing your academic passions recently. i imagine you being a famous scientist and little girls will think whoa this chick looks cool i guess i don't have to be a princess to look pretty because i can be a scientist and look bad ass

    ReplyDelete