Tuesday, May 19, 2015

Real witches don't wear black



Wearing: Meadham Kirchhoff X Topshop dress, deadstock tights, POMS earrings, Topshop zebra print jacket and Atilin saddle shoes.

One of my favourite things to do is take a well-known troupe and deconstruct it and then rebuild it in my own image. Witchy chic is one of those things normally associated with lots of black, dried rose petals and wooden trinket boxes but instead I decided to make it more cute and kitsch. While I admit this look definitely needs like a cute pentagram necklace or something I am happy with how it turned out. I've been so busy wearing my Asos faux fur coat that I totally forgot about this zebra piece for a little while. It's not exactly versatile but it is super fun to wear with other patterns such as this dress. The weather is finally cold enough that I can wear these cute tights again and I no longer feel that it's necessary to wear a petticoat with this dress. I think it demonstrates that slowly I am growing in confidence not just in terms of my outfits but also my body type.

13 comments:

  1. love love love your dress x3

    dresses-and-travels //@susandollparts

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes yes yes! Some people get very stuck on the image of witches wearing black (ex: AHS: Coven), while totally missing out on the demonic/haunted quality of cuteness and kitsch-iness. It's like a mixture of devil children from 1970s horror movies and crazy old women who have hoarded stuff throughout their whole lives - like when a thing is supposed to be cute but there's also something jarring about it (Kyary is really good at this; I don't think anyone understands the concept of cute better than Kyary Pamyu Pamyu).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need to check out Kyary Pamyu Pamyu- but everything you said also reminded me of Danny riding on his big wheel in The Shining <3

      Delete
  3. You look gorgeous! I especially love those shoes!
    x Inés
    www.riotsandroses.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Replies
    1. Thanks so much Ati! and an extra special thanks for making these gorgeous shoes <3 <3

      Delete
  5. Yet again another gorgeous outfit! x
    fashionismyfirstlanguage.blogspot.ie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ahhh! your style is awesome! I really love this outfit!

    Love from Colombia.
    Mushroom Rain Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Laura- I love the name of your blog! :)

      Delete
  7. Ugh, yes! We need to make ~pastel kitsch witch~ style a thing. <3

    p.s. this outfit is SO perfect! My face right now -> *A*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. omg yes, Marlena I feel like you would be the perfect leader and authority for this aesthetic,
      we totally need to make this a thing!

      Delete