Saturday, May 2, 2015

little kids

When we're young we have ideas about what kind of person we'll be when we grow up. Often this idea is highly influenced by the adults around us or as a rejection of what they represent. Rather than being imprisoned by makeup as a veil necessary in order to be deemed acceptable little kids experiment with it for fun. By far the biggest changes I've undergone within the last five years has been unlearning a lot of the so-called rules about how to dress and reconnecting with my childlike self. This has also been helped by the ability to chose what kind of clothes I want to wear and buy for myself but it's possible to totally revolutionize how you present yourself on a tight budget. Sometimes the wildest metallic lipsticks come from the dollar store or an amazing vintage piece at a thrift store. It's not entirely about what you have available to you but how you chose to interpret the items around you. Even collecting the inspiration you want to use as a model for how you reinvent yourself can be therapeutic, like I often do.  

1- unknown, 2a- Malaika Firth by Jean-Baptiste Mondino for ELLE France, March 2015, b- photo by ultraterrestrial (conversation heart barrette by Marlena from Self Constructed Freak), c- Edward Scissorhands (1990). 3a, b- A POC Demo, June 5 2000 (a project developed by Issey Miyake and Dai Fujiwara). 4- Shimma Marie for Yen Magazine by Natalie McKain. 5a, b- Kailey Flyte, c- Zoe Schlacter. 6a, b- Ophelia Horton, c. 7. 8a- Elle Fanning photographed by Venetia Scott for Self-Service Magazine, b- Daizy Lemonade, c- Nina Hagen, d- Ryan Lo.

12 comments:

  1. I always think it's inspiring the way little kids just wear what they want without worrying about what anyone else thinks. xoxo

    www.thelittleenigma.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I want to channel that energy or live in my own little world and tune out all the bad vibes people try to send me

      Delete
  2. When I first started looking at this I legitimately thought it was scans from a magazine spread, everything fits together so well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. that is like, the highest compliment. srsly thanks so much Erin you're the sweetest <3

      Delete
  3. I'm feeling this mood board so much!! I've been watching a lot of kids movies lately and Pee Wee's Playhouse (does that count as kids stuff too?)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pee Wee's Playhouse is for kids at heart :)

      Delete
  4. I adore the photographs you have chosen and your writing swims beautifully beside it. I feel most myself when I add something to an outfit that feels whimsical or childlike, it's kind of like I get to reconnect to my childhood. It makes me grumpy to think that society can associate childlike clothing and colors as being immature and not aware. I am very aware, and the more aware I am of the world around me, the more I dream of reconnecting to that childhood. If I can act as an adult but keep a sense of childlike wonder to me through my clothing, then I am happy as can be!

    Now I'm really craving a fluffy pink coat to add to my wardrobe!

    Love this post. Thank you for it. x

    Love, Amy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. omg yes thank you so much for this!
      just because we grow older does not necessarily mean we are in tun with our bodies, indeed I see adults traipsing around like zombies who seem out of sync with the way they dress or whatever

      "If I can act as an adult but keep a sense of childlike wonder to me through my clothing, then I am happy as can be!"
      - this may be the greatest quote ever btw <3

      Delete
  5. I too hate the fact that society tells us to follow rules and lose a sense of childhood. A while ago, my mum told me that when I first started school, she noticed how every child was eventually moulded into a product that society wanted them to be by the time they had finished school. Children who are aware of the world around them and have their own ideas should be admired in society for maturity, instead of being disregarded as immature and told to 'grow up.'

    Love these pictures!

    -Anna
    annaheath.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes girl preach! conformity is kind of a way of surviving throughout my schooling years, or at least that's what it felt like for me but I am so much happier now than I ever was because I get to dress and experience things that genuinely interest me. my mental health has improved so much now I can surround myself with things I like, and not just things, I mean music, movies and iconography from the internet too

      Delete
  6. Sometimes I find something like a hair accessory or an old notebook from childhood and invest new meaning in it years later. Those mundane items suddenly become magical. I totally agree with you on thinking that what we deem valuable is based more on how we interpret what we have!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a whole collection of plastic beaded necklaces, butterfly hair clips and badges I have from when I was little and they are like, the greatest treasures ever

      I need to take more photos of them but aesthetically they are at the core of who I am today *love hearts emoji*

      Delete