Wednesday, May 27, 2015

Girlhood

These are the remaining photos from my visit to the Girlhood Art Exhibition with Kelly. It made sense to aesthetically catalog things and separate them based on color, rather than the order in which I took them. I had so much fun processing these photos and am starting to feel more comfortable with doing things and experiencing my city. This has largely been due to the rigors of honours forcing me to find new ways of creating blog content away from my home office. No longer do I feel content sitting for hours on end and scanning the Internet for that which I have a visual affinity for. Instead lugging my camera around in my bag and riding the train while penning notes on whatever free newsprint publication I can find has been my weekend getaway. Some of my favourite photos are of Kelly (how cool are her glasses guys!!) and chronicling her outfit in a very organic way, rather than shooting alongside her. I've had my camera for just under a year now but it's only now that I am beginning to explore it's different functions and use it as effectively as my writing. I see it merely as a different way of expressing myself.

5 comments:

  1. :O it's me! duuude this was really weird to read because i always felt like you did way more exploring the IRL for #inspo than i did and that has inspired me to seek out more cool stuff to look at recently. okay well i haven't done that much, but i think about you looking for cool stuff and that motivates me. for me the biggest struggle when looking for inspo is knowing that i'm likely to find myself immersed in capitalism if i go anywhere. right now i'm most interested in exploring the aesthetic of small grocery stores because that is the only place where i can justify shopping right now ;D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. omg Kelly no way-- I hate clubs you will find me at home on most Friday and Saturday nights after work cuddled up and drinking a hot cup of tea
      But lately I've wanted to expand my horizons and push my boundaries

      But also I have a lot of work due and there's always more lab work to be done so slowly this adventurous streak is dissipating-
      Maybe exploring and giving nuance to the mundane and everyday tasks will be how I deal with this...

      Delete
  2. Omg I used to be the opposite. I always used to carry my camera everywhere with, trips to the pharmacy, house parties and dinner dates with friends but then idk, staying inside and spending hours on Tumblr and looking at other people's trips to the pharmacy, house parties and dinner dates with friends became a lot more interesting.

    You've reminded me that I miss that. And also that I need to move. This exhibit is so lovely. I just had a lovely vision of decorating my room with the nail and thread portraits and photos.

    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. that sounds like so much fun! but obviously those moments are richer and more fulfilling when you have a pack to hang around and you can almost feel those moments crystallizing as bitter sweet memories as they happen (or at least I do)

      Delete