Wednesday, April 29, 2015

technicolor

Lately I've felt inspired by the illustrations of Mary Blair, a Disney animator as well as the costumes and set design of the Wizard of Oz. While pastel colours have been the uniting theme I've been particularly drawn to the colour green in idealised landscapes and magical kingdoms. Naturally the Pip and Pop installation for designer Romance Was Born's Mushroom Magic collection fits neatly into this category. Even something as simple as a vintage lampshade on a floral wallpaper fits in with this very kitsch aesthetic. I also had to include a photo of one of my favourite bloggers and creatives, Marlena from self-constructed freak who made the pin in her outfit which says 'Earth Sucks'. As if we needed further proof she is actually a queen from outer space sent save us all! Although I've been really happy that it's Winter and I get to wear lots of fluffy faux fur coats I guess subconsciously my mind has been drawn to Spring vibes. It's hard to romanticise fall and winter without snow to look forward but cold weather and precious few hours of sunlight. 

1- Marlena from self-constructed freak, 2 & 3- The Wizard of Oz (1939), 4- Prada Fall 2015 backstage, 5- Pip & Pop for Romance Was Born Mushroom Magic collection, 6- Peter Pan by Disney illustrator Mary Blair, 7- unknown and 8- Shrimps Fall 2015.

13 comments:

  1. those mushrooms are so beautiful i want to shove them in my mouth. i wish they made artificial mushroom candies that were like the artificial banana candies because i bet they would look like that. i feel compelled to add more mushrooms to my life... green and pink pastel mushrooms <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. omg you have to check out Ginette Lapalme's (on etsy as Ginette Pomette) polymer clay mushroom necklaces THEY ARE THE BEST
      I dream of buying a hundred and creating the perfect flower queen mushroom crown using them or a rad statement necklace

      Delete
  2. I'm actually crazy anti-green (mostly because it was the colour of my school uniform for the most oppressive part of my life) (ages twelve through fifteen) but I really, really like it's use in the images her. That yellow-green or super-cool, cool, almost blue is actually pretty romantic since, as you said, it is so very Spring. And, ugh, snow would make the idea of Winter a lot more appealing :/.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kensani I felt the same way about blue since I had to wear that as my school uniform FOR THIRTEEN YEARS but I'm at a point where I can reclaim it for myself? Ok that sounds super arrogant but I hope I have made green more magical and romantic for you

      I agree though, snow would make Winter more aesthetically pleasing but on the bright side there's no way I can slip over on ice (yet)

      Delete
  3. I love that blue shirt-jacket, it's amazing xoxo

    www.thelittleenigma.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is so perfect! I love Mary Blair, I have a 70s jumpsuit with one of her prints on it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. omg that sounds totally dreamy Celia <3

      Delete
  6. Ah, I love all these things! Mary Blair is one of my favourite artists - her concept designs for Disney are absolutely gorgeous. The whole awesome Disney aesthetic of that era pretty much owes its existence to Mary Blair. Pip and Pop are phenomenal too. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mary Blair is possibly one of Disney's best animators but srsly underrated as well- and I can see some aspects of that in Pip and Pop's concept work behind Romance Was Born's Mushroom Magic collection

      Delete
  7. omg Adele! ;___; it's actually a dream come true to be featured in one of your brilliant inspiration posts - thank you!!! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. omg no thank you! you are such a style inspiration to me and many others!!

      Delete