Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Red Lion Road

The first thing we think of when we visualize the colour red is often anger or failing that it signifies passion. Both anger and passion are emotions which are underscored by a certain kind of intensity. And for those with an interest in biology, red in the animal kingdom is often used as a warning signal to predators indicating some kind of toxin. But despite all its dangers, despite all the ontological connotations we have assigned to it red can be soft and dreamy too. It's not grainy the way brown and orange can become like an old photograph but clear and penetrating. It seems to eclipse any other colour in an outfit or frame if you're examining a photograph or piece of art. When I'm upset I'm not sure what colour I see but when I'm really angry and I close my eyes all I can see is white. Red isn't what I think of when I'm mad. It's the colour I paint my nails to cheer myself up, a brand new fluffy sweater or a shiny new tube of lipstick. No one can convince me otherwise that it's meaning is any less malleable than blue, pink, or any other colour for that matter.  

1- Petra Collins, 2a- unknown, b- Salt N Pepa, c- charlotterutherfordblog. 3- unknown via Rookie Mag. 4a- shot by Maisie Cousins & b- Pop Magazine Winter 2008 - Drew Barrymore by Alasdair McLellan. 5- La fièvre Grunge Vogue Paris September 2013. 6- Meadham Kirchhoff Spring 2011 & 2012. 7- Style Rookie. 8- shot by Petra Collins. 9- Photography by Petra Herbert. 10- let go - RAC.

9 comments:

  1. Red's always one of my favourite colours and yep, I absolutely love ruby lipstick! :)

    www.thelittleenigma.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've heard Mac's Ruby Woo is the ultimate red lipsticks (anyone care to confirm???)

      Delete
  2. I always think of red as a happy colour too. A little bit of red lippy and red nail polish goes a long way into cheering me up on a bad day. I also think the colour yellow is a happy colour - been trying to work these two more into my daily life and getting all those positive vibes!

    Cats In Crop Tops

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes girl! working the colours that make you happy into your outfits is so important- and I couldn't agree with you on the nail polish front, can definitely change my mood for the better

      Delete
  3. Your mood boards are always the best!

    ReplyDelete
  4. AMOOOOO

    http://psicotendencia.blogspot.com.br/

    ReplyDelete
  5. That picture of Tavi, oh my, she was such an adorable youngster.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. she's now evolved into this chic, international icon for style and women's writing :)

      Delete