Monday, March 9, 2015

candy bar creep show

I haven't made a moodboard in a very long time and for a while I thought I would stop for good, or that I was incapable of being able to make sense of all my favourite pop culture references into a cacophony of coordinated colours and landscapes. Of course that didn't turn out to be true but self-doubt can be a real bitch and once the seed of doubt has been planted it can be difficult to shake off. The easiest way to combat this mentality is to sit down and try and do it, even if you're worried it might not be very good. I've been thinking a lot about mall goths and their gentrified suburban counterparts. The kind of girls who look up from their diet soda just as you spill ketchup all down your top in the food court. These images feel like they belong in the same universe as Edward Scissorhands but with a greater emphasise on young women rather than youth culture in general. There's also undertones of malice or deep dark secrets which I find irresistible made all the more alluring when combined with red lipstick and a killer wardrobe. It's all very Stepford Wives in its own, peculiar way through the lens of a younger teenage cast.  

1a- Kailey Flyte shot by Hana Hayley, b, c- Clueless (1995). 2- via. 3a- unknown, b- Rookie Mag. 4- Daria (1997- 2001). 6a- Style Rookie, c- Freaks & Geeks (1999- 2000). 7- Courtney Love. 8a- backstage Gucci AW15, c- unknown. 9- To Die For (Gus Van Sant 1995). 10- Kate Moss, Calvin Kein 1997. 11- Tavi Gevinson and Petra Collins as the Grady Twins at Rookie Mag Masquerade Ball. 13- unknown.3c & 6b. 5, 8b, 12- Twin Peaks - Fire Walk With Me (1992).

7 comments:

  1. Creepily, spookily beautiful. Kind of reminds me of the Virgin Suicides, too xoxo

    www.thelittleenigma.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. omg yes! the lisbon girls kinda were like that in a way, or would have been were it not for their weird parents

      Delete
  2. Ugh, I love everything about this. And the title is absolutely excellent. Such a good combination of words.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks! the title is named after a MS MR album <3

      Delete
  3. The title is really creative and suits the pics. I like the one with long fringe a lot for some reason.

    Leeanna
    Elle-tea.blogspot.ca

    ReplyDelete
  4. such a rad collection of pics, I've been listening to ms mr's album lately (I'm guessing you're referring to their EP?) and their music definitely has an underlying darkness to it x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yeah it is a Ms Mr reference! Lizzy has such an incredible voice and my god, her hair, I would kill to have hair like that! <3

      Delete