Sunday, March 8, 2015

Back to the Grind & Happy International Womens Day

Wearing: Thrifted blouse, DIY skirt and Nicholas Kirkwood x Meadham Kirchhoff shoes.

If I'm beginning to look tired it's because I'm two weeks into my honours project and already feeling tired. Don't get me wrong, I am genuinely excited about my project and very interested in doing a PhD next year but I literally have no time to get to the hairdresser. Also the bags under my eyes have already grown a lot within the last week but I prefer to think of them as little badges of honour for every late night I spent blogging about fashion week or doing some late night research. Another great thing is that I get to work from home and touch base with my supervisors once or twice a week rather than needlessly waste time traveling to and from campus. That also means I can take a break during the middle of the day to document my outfits. I thought I would be able to do that this year at uni but the shared office space is a bit cramped. I may end up retreating their or indoors in general when the weather gets chillier and the days become shorter and shorter.

edit: I almost forgot, today is International Womens Day!
I feel so inspired reading the blogs of so many women in fashion, but also listening to music made by women and creative women running their own businesses.  Writers like Tavi Gevinson, Arabelle Sicardi, Jade Taylor and the team behind Polyester Zine are all visionaries. Photographers like Petra Collins, Taylor Smith, the women featured in The Arduous and Maisie Cousins. Grimes and Bjork who engineer their music including beats but are never credited properly, as well as Beyonce and Nicki Minaj (problematic) whose sentiments of world domination in their chosen field are just so inspiring. Finally a shout out to all the brands I love made by women: Marina FINI, Rodarte, Molly Goddard, Shrimps, Sophia Webster, Clio Peppiatt, Phiney Pet, Ashley Williams, Chromat, Sara Sboul, Discount Universe and Atilin's handmade shoes and apparel (just to name a few!!)

But more importantly each of you inspires me, without support and interest in this blog I wouldn't have been able to sustain this blog and I am so grateful to each and everyone of my readers. Believe it or not I read every of your comments and feel so happy that this online community exists where women support women. Let's work towards spreading feminism and fighting for equality for women of all sizes, women of colour, trans women, women with disabilities, of all religions and backgrounds and combat this notion of white cis feminism for skinny, able-bodied women. That is no longer something we can hold onto, we need these women represented equally in the media and in the workplace and to give them equal opportunities. I hope everyone's celebrating in the company of some rad women and more importantly, these sentiments last a lifetime.

7 comments:

  1. love that skirt :)) Good luck with your Uni :) xx

    https://www.facebook.com/dressesandtravels?ref=hl

    ReplyDelete
  2. yay! I know it's a lil late but Happy International Women's Day to you too. There are SO many inspiring ladies doing great stuff out there and your so right about the blogging community!


    On another note love your outfit, especially the Meadham Kirchhoff shoes. Hope your project goes well! X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. even if someone irl give me a look about my outfit I know that there are some incredible women online who will be supportive and nice about it :)

      Thanks! it's going well so far so fingers crossed!

      Delete
  3. i actually love how your hair is growing out, it makes your cheekbones look really good ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha I only just realised when you pointed it out!

      Delete
  4. 1. Your shoes are pretty much the coolest thing I have ever seen. Are they comfy to walk in? (Actually, who cares if they aren't, they're basically works of art).
    2. I wanna hear more about your honours project ever since you left a comment on my blog, please point me to the right post if you've posted about it before!
    3. thank you for adding women with disabilities to that list! I see so much unintentional ableism even from the most well-meaning of feminists. We are so often totally forgotten about and it's sometimes difficult to be heard!

    :*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I sometimes stumble over stupid little steps and although I haven't walked on cobblestones in them that would pretty much be a nightmare, but like you said they are aesthetic works of art so who cares

      I haven't written that much about my honours project on my blog because I'm not sure how much I can discuss it outside the university/ don't want to get my supervisors in trouble but I may write something about it real soon <3
      In any case I'll leave a little note on your blog

      I'm glad someone else cares about the representation of women with disability- the writer, comedian and activist Stella Young was incredibly important to the discussions of what people with disability have to contribute to society and it was incredibly sad she passed away. Jilly Peppa is also doing incredible work and if you haven't heard of her I strongly suggest you check out her work :)

      Delete