Friday, February 6, 2015

for blog's sake

I've been thinking a lot lately- about what makes a good blog, how to crack social media and more general things like ways to improve my writing. Unlike a lot of successful bloggers I didn't study literature or journalism and it's recently that I've really come to understand the importance of public relations. That on top of advertisement as well as event management is obviously key to the commercial success of a brand. Although they are inextricably linked to how well a designer can be received (especially at events such as fashion week) we are often oblivious to their overall importance. With all this in the back of my mind I can't help but long for a simpler time where bloggers wrote for the sense of enjoyment, rather than the hope of scoring some freebies. Lately I've tried so hard to impress others, that I had totally forgotten that this was a hobby as much about self-expression as it was about connecting with other like minded people.

2- Sun Choi BA (Hons) Fashion Design Knitwear 2013. 3- Miu Miu boots in Vogue Paris. 5b & 6- unknowns, 9- Elle Fanning shot by Venetia Scott in Self-Service Magazine. 10-
Shimma Marie for Yen Magazine by Natalie McKain, 12- by Petra Collins. 1, 4, 5a, 7, 8, 11- Style Rookie.

8 comments:

  1. Blogs can be a lot more powerful when they're written just for simple enjoyment, though :) And I love Elle Fanning and Petra Collins! xoxoxo

    www.thelittleenigma.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Public relations/marketing is probably one of the most important things when it comes to any sort of event, presentation, store, cafe etc. I think you can always tell when people write for page views rather than because they actually enjoy it. The good thing about writing for pleasure and as a hobby is that you come across more genuine than those who don't.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. clickbait is the worst thing to ever happen to the internet I swear! The last thing I want is to see the same story slightly reworded plastered all over my facebook feed

      There's definitely a sense in freedom when you write for pleasure and not just to satisfy someone else's MO

      Delete
  3. I'm always put off of blogs when they're clearly writing for followers and free stuff, it's always so obvious and they never really talk about real things. It is an easy mindset to fall into though, that blogging nowadays has to have a certain formula to it and things you must do to be considered "successful" (which is entirely subjective anyway). Something about promoting myself and becoming a "brand" has always felt really icky to me. It is a trap I've fallen into now and then (it's hard not to!) but I try not to. Personally I miss the old days of LiveJournal when people just blogged whatever they liked and didn't care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely things have changed a lot since blogs became points of collaboration for brands- and with Twitter and Instagram there's a certain pressure to be "on" all the time.

      I try and do my own thing but it's also hard when I see others doing well which spurs me to do more and work harder at it but taking a step back and looking at it as a fun hobby rather than a business or stream of income is super valuable as well.
      I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels like they're balancing commercial blogging with sharing outfits or inspiration. Take me back to '09 before everything got all crazy

      Delete
  4. I feel you so much on this post, dude! It's frustrating, because you want to be yourself, but then you get into the whole "what makes a blog good" thing! No matter what, you and I and a lot of other amazing bloggers will always stick to their true self. Which is always a breath of fresh air! I really love the way you write, by the way. I don't think I've ever mentioned it... It's very polished, but your voice is still there and it kicks ass!

    That last sentence is one of the most relatable things in my life right now. Woah.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's good to know that I'm not the only one who feels like this but is also facing this internal dilemma of where do I draw the line?
      You're right Tessa there are a lot of many amazing bloggers out there (yourself) included) who are genuine and embrace both highs and lows.

      And thanks for saying such wonderful things about my writing style since I have felt worried about how it has changed since I started blogging but I am comfortable with how I use language. I'm lucky that I still have the freedom to be able to write what I think and feel

      Delete
  5. 全てが可愛い。
    miu miu のブーツは初めて見ました
    とっても素敵!!

    ReplyDelete