Friday, February 20, 2015

Disco is Dead





Wearing: Romance Was Born top, vintage jeans and Miu Miu clogs.

I know when you wear mom jeans you are supposed to look casual or 'effortlessly chic' but I seriously struggle with these aesthetics and would rather dress like a glamorous super hero any day of the week. Also this is one of my favourite tops so why should I only wear it on special occasions? This outfit is the product of three different philosophies the first of which was coined by David Bowie. I think it was something along the lines of 'I don't want to be ordinary, I want to be a super human'. The second belongs to Iris Apfel in which she states she is dressing for the opera of her life. The third comes from yet another musician, Natalia Kills. She was in turn influenced by Austrian architect
Hundertwasser who believed that all human beings have three skins (a physical appearance, the clothes we choose and how we decorate our homes). Our clothes are beautiful things- so why wait to save them for special occasions rather than wear them in everyday life?

8 comments:

  1. I completely agree with everything you said in this post! (plus any post that mentions Bowie has got to be good) I hate being asked why I get so "dressed up" when we do something that isn't "special" enough to wear nice things. I'm not getting rid of the idea of rocking tracksuits every once in a while but instead of waiting for an opportunity to be special enough, why don't you make it special be getting dressed up? There isn't a right and wrong time to express yourself, I feel good when I dress the way I like so I like to do it as often as possible! If you wait for opportunities to arise rather then live every moment than I think you're kind of wasting you're time. Anyway enough about that hahaha ranting time is over~ Love the outfit! xx

    http://amehka-jai.blogspot.com.au/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Amehka I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels like this- and I suppose it's why I admire the women from Advanced Style so much who dress in a way that makes them feel good rather than as per the status quo

      Delete
  2. Natalia Kills and David Bowie in the same post is brilliant. Reminds me of the line from American Beauty about there being nothing worse than being ordinary. xoxo

    www.thelittleenigma.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. omg yes I watched that for the first time a few weeks ago and obviously each character is shown flaws and all (basically at their worst and best) but that one line really got me

    ReplyDelete
  4. amazing top! and i agree, why save the best bits for special times?! <3

    thewatercolourjar.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  5. fuck fashion rules! I don't have any basics in my closet and will wear clothes that suit my mood of the day, whether it's a glitter party kinda day or a 'black is the only color' kinda day ;) love the statements <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. my motto for the last 2 years has been to kill basic tbh

      Delete