Saturday, January 3, 2015

Purple Haze


My only New Year's resolution for 2015 is to wear what I  really want to university. Because I'm a science student I've always felt like everyone around me has conservative opinions, but the fact is nothing could be further from the truth. It also had a lot to do with concerns about my safety on public transport. If I was dressed up that would be a conversation starter but after a long day of research the last thing I want to do is humor anyone who wants to talk to me about my outfit. It would be a different story if I was talking to someone who also had a blog but most of the time it's just another dudebro using my clothes as a talking point. Or a little old lady with something snarky and negative to say (I've met my fair share of them in retail) some of whom have even laughed at my outfit. While none of those experiences have never been enough to fully deter me it does knock the wind out of my sails for days, up to weeks at a time. Well you know what? I don't dress to please other people.

1, 3- unknown, 5, 6- unknown.
10, 11,  13- Style Rookie. 4, 9 & 12- Girl with the Flower. 2, 7 & 8- Fantasia (1940).

6 comments:

  1. I know how that feels, and people will always have an opinion on what you look like/ what you wear. Hope uni is good to you this year and have fun wearing whatever you please!

    vegcourtesy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. that's very true, thank you for reminding me :) unfortunately we all judge one another so I might as well have fun!

      Delete
  2. I'm a science student too at a university where everyone dresses pretty much the same and buys everything from the same places. I can relate with the conflict between wearing what you want and wearing what people think you should want. But I kind of realized that in the end, when I throw on a really awesome outfit, I feed off of everyone else's negative vibes and it kind of reassures me that I got together something some "dudebro" or some granny wouldn't understand. So be you! Been following your blog for ages and your style is awesome :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I find it incredibly disheartening when I analyze everyone's outfits and visibly there's so little effort into what they wear. Or you realise what they're supporting is unethical.
      Totally striking confusion and fear into the hearts of dudebro's and people who just don't get it should be my MO for 2015. Thank you so much for your kind words Melanie, they really cheered me up and made me feel confident!
      It's because I have a certain freedom and can connect with people like you that I blog :)

      Delete
  3. I'm sorry to hear that some people are giving you such a hard time. It really sucks. And the extra sad thing is that there are probably a lot of people who see you and love what you're wearing but are too shy to say anything. The most ignorant people are usually the loudest.

    But I hope you're able to uphold your resolution! Even if some people irl are mean, you've got all of our support!

    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. that's a really good point Erin- and it's also a reminder that if I do like someone's outfit I should definitely tell them because it'll make them feel good for the day.
      So I'll try to do that too, and dig myself out of my rut!

      Delete