Thursday, January 8, 2015

Meadham Kirchhoff SS13



Although I've previously written about this fabulous collection, I couldn't resist discussing the combination of French historic nods towards Marie Antoinette combined with Hole's Courtney Love as inspirations for the Meadham Kirchhoff Spring collection of 2013. Also since rumors of the brand having to close down in December I thought it would be good to revisit some of their previous work and the processes by which the find the aesthetic for their collection each seasons. Lately I've also been thinking about the way bloggers use jewellery as the seamless addition of their outfits, particularly vintage jewellery and how I can bring some of that to my personal style. Often I get so caught up in the colour and patterns of my clothes I often neglect how I can accessorize an outfit to make it unique, save for a growing collection of badges and brooches. The decadence of Marie Antoinette is as an exaggerated reminder that jewellery and headwear is as much a part of dressing as the clothes themselves, although you seldom see that reflected in street style.




It's hard to know where clothes end and accessories actually start with this collection and it is that notion that seems revolutionary for me. Since I've had a lot of time on my hands over the holiday period I've been rewatching style videos and really thinking about personal style. In particular I've watched StylelikeU's interview of the Princess of Plexiglass, Yaz Bukey who immediately challenges the psychology of the word 'accessory' as less important than clothing. That's true if you wear something like a simple dress, but what if you wear crazy patterns and prints like me? It's more difficult to seamlessly add accessories which complement your outfit and even harder still to blend new with vintage but obviously some have been doing it for years. It's only now becoming apparent to me though. 





I used to wear a lot of jewellery throughout high school despite the fact it was against uniform but my teachers liked me and for the most part left me alone. In my senior year though as the stress levels went up I became less concerned with my good luck charms until I pretty much stopped altogether. Nowadays I only wear one ring at a time, nothing on my wrists and a necklace if it matches a particular outfit. Earrings are treated as a separate entity since I have so many now there's usually at least one pair that matches the colours or theme of an outfit. The problem is the earrings don't really match any of the jewellery I have and I normally forget to take close up pictures of them anyway. I also feel that while my stuff is high quality I only have a limited selection so I'd just be wearing the same things over and over. So basically I should be aim to be less forgetful and more conscience of accessories adding value to my outfits, rather than detracting from them. 



Ed Meadham and Benjamin Kirchhoff spared no expense when it came to the presentation of their 2013 collection, as you can see from the elaborate full-length gloves, manicured nails and ribbons. Despite the different techniques and types of accessories each outfit remains holistic and connected through their historical inspiration in the form of Marie Antoinette. If you don't want to dress like Queen of France on a daily basis it's easier to use a single piece of jewellery effectively. If you want to wear different layers have a single theme, shape of colour in mind to keep it cohesive. It's also important to consider the different lengths and thicknesses of necklaces and bracelets, as well as the heights they sit at. There's so many different things to think about and I've only just scratched the surface here but experimentation and trying new things allows you to get a feel for what's right and what isn't. Hopefully there'll be more of that from me this year!






*Photos by Eleanor Hardwick for Rookie Mag

7 comments:

  1. I adore this collection. I briefly reviewed every Meadham Kirchhoff collection on my blog last year. I'm trying to immerse myself in as much Marie Antoinette inspired culture as possible with the excuse that I'm focusing on Marie Antoinette for my history coursework this year. I always forget about accessories, but I really shouldn't. Maybe that can be another goal for 2015; to accessorise more. I got a couple of chunky embellished chokers for Christmas, but I've only worn each one once so far.

    http://prettypassionsfinefashions.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My goal is to pretty much write about each of the Meadham Kirchhoff collections since they are all so good but for different reasons.
      That sounds really cool that you get to combine fashion with your history work!

      Accessorizing more is definitely a goal of mine in 2015- maybe you could wear more than one choker at once or adjust the lengths of them if that'd work :)

      Delete
  2. Hey,
    I really like your Blog! Do you want to support each other and follow via GFC and/or Bloglovin? Let me know and i hope we stay in touch. :)

    Greetings, Sophia xx
    Instagram: sophiaton_
    Blog: www.sophias-fashion.de

    ReplyDelete
  3. I admit I always forget about accessories too, even though I own some nice costume jewellery I frequently just forget to put it on (or I forget to take it off and wear it with every other outfit that week until it goes rusty in the shower). Or I don't own the right piece to complete the outfit as I've created it in my head, a bad habit as I need to learn to be more adaptable make the most of what I have. There's so many layers that can make up a single outfit, it's amazing really.
    I do wish it were socially acceptable to dress like Marie Antoinette though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I usually forget too! Or when I do think of something that would work with an outfit I think of the accessories I don't own, rather than the ones I do own which is really counter productive!
      Definitely need to start planning my outfits at night and laying out matching jewels to complement them

      Delete
  4. I've been itching to make my own clothing lately, and this has been my go-to inspiration for such a thing! This collection is so dreamy and inspiring (and it makes me really upset that I don't own it all, haha)!

    themadmod.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. omg yes this collection serves really well as DIY inspo, but then again all MK collections are basically like that <3

      Delete