Saturday, January 24, 2015

Cowes Bazaar & Gallery


The second vintage store we went to was called Cowes Bazaar & Gallery which was a much bigger space with less of an emphasis on clothing and more kitchenware and haberdashery. The space was organised into individual yet unmanned stalls and decorated according to individual tastes and aesthetics. There were quite a few handmade items like soaps and jewellery on display as well but I was more interested in the vintage hats. I was even tempted to buy two of them (both of which I later put down because one was just too eccentric and the other was missing its price tag so) but I finally settled on an evening jacket. Again, I was hoping to have a little selfie at the end to show off what I wore but the weather was stifling and instead I ate ice cream and played monopoly with my boyfriend.

The jacket I bought has a metallic sheen to it, kind of like a beetle and an amazing floral pattern with heavy metal buttons on both sides of the lapel. I didn't realise how padded the shoulders were until I tried it on a second time when I got home in the mirror but I'm sure it'll be fine. Originally I was drawn to a white faux fur jacket but when I tried it on the sleeves were outrageously short on me. Even though I've been dying for a jacket just like it and this one was super cheap there was no getting around that it didn't fit me and I should save for my dream jacket instead. Truthfully I've wanted to buy lots of faux fur jackets, particularly the ones sold on Asos (a number of styles I had my eye on have since sold out in my size) which is a bit strange when you think about it. I mean the weather has been as far from cold as possible but all I can think about is wearing tons of layers! It must have something to do with being bombarded with ads catering for American and European sensibilities.  

Compared to the other vintage store, Collectable Antiques we visited in Cowes there was definitely less clothing and a bit more junk to sift through but the pricing was a little better. For example I paid $30 for my jacket but a silk organza two-piece which I also had my eye on was $125 and way out of my budget. Still, it was nice to walk around and see all the different things with an adjoining cafe attached to the main building as well. The aisles were much wider than that of your typical thrift store and it's definitely a store you should check out if you have kids as well. Like many of the other stores in town there have been several extensions added which are basically sheds leaving some stock exposed to the elements. The day after we visited there was heavy rains and thunderstorms so I don't think the heavier vintage furniture would have fared too well. I also noticed a couple of paintings were in direct sunlight.

I definitely think I'd like to do this more often (of only I could control myself a bit more and quit buying things!) even if I can only manage to write about a new store every other week or once a month. Not only would it be a good excuse to get out and practice taking photos but it would also give me a platform to talk about vintage clothing in the same light that I talk about new designers and collections. A lot of my wardrobe is from thrift stores or vintage stores which I mix with designer pieces like many other fashion bloggers I admire. I believe this kind of dressing breeds a new creativity of its own but is a rejection of the notion of 'fast fashion'. The piece in my wardrobe are well made and should last a lifetime not a season.


9 comments:

  1. Oooooh that green dress is lovely! I already found so many things in these photos that I'd want to have. ;___;

    vegcourtesy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's why I wanted to post these :P
      but I don't think I did as good a job photographing this store as the other one

      Delete
  2. Oh my god!!!! It pains me that I can't just get up and go to these amazing stores you find <///3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha that was the plan ;) I wanted to do some posts like Brooke Kao who wrote 'The Fashion Void That is DC'

      Delete
  3. Coolio! How do you find these amazing stores? :) xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. my boyfriend showed me! they're on a holiday island we stayed at :)

      Delete