Wednesday, January 7, 2015

Black and White always looks Modern












Wearing: thrifted blouse, Romance was born skirt, Tsumori Chisato sunglasses and Kenji heels.

I've been watching a lot of videos online recently and in particular interviews with influential women such as Iris Apfel and the collective known as Advanced Style. For a long time I've listed my influences as Tavi Gevinson, Susie Lau and Arabelle Sicardi. Each of these incredible ladies has managed to carve their own careers in fashion and online media, and found the balance between following their own personal style and following trends. Or at the very least, offering insightful commentary into these trends and how they translate and affect popular culture and fashion editorials. They all have an incredible sense of style, but what's been missing is a certain sense of wisdom and maturity. It goes without saying that I am more interested in stories told by 20-something year old women rather than 80-somethings but I discovered something was missing from my outfits. These older women referred to it as being. People treat you better when you're dressed nicely even if it is in a strange way and it's as much about style as it is commanding respect.

9 comments:

  1. U look insaaaaane, always love ur crazy outfits!

    rosalindis.blogspot.com.es

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this outfit. You literally just listed all my favourite fashion icons! You're in my latest post by the way. I hope that's okay. You can take a look at it here:

    http://prettypassionsfinefashions.blogspot.co.uk/2015/01/dressing-fancy.html

    sophie xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. omg thank you so much for listing me and my friend Kelly amongst what are some of our favorite style icons too! it's very humbling to be listed alongside them <3

      Delete
  3. The details on that skirt are lovely! And I agree with you; someone would be treated better if dressed more "appropriate" regardless of the certain color or design of the clothing.

    vegcourtesy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Even when someone wears a type of clothing that I wouldn't personally wear I approach them differently because they have taken the time and effort out of their day to do their hair/ makeup/ pull together a really interesting outfit which I should treat like a mini piece of art

      Delete
  4. I love this eccentric and mature look :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. you are such a style queen. how you put such cool stuff together is beyond me...I feel like you're Iris Apfel but young. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ugh omg that is like the compliment of the century- thank you so much Ellie <3

      Delete