Monday, December 8, 2014

Short Hair, Don't Care

Just about every summer I have the inclination to cut my hair really short and during the first couple years of middle school I went through these cyclic changes to coincide with the changing of the seasons. Then it stopped. I became vain and bought into the idea that long hair would make me beautiful and more feminine, and that would help me navigate or at the very least survive high school. Since dying my hair last September it's become very dry and damaged despite my best efforts over the last month to nourish and treat it with all sorts of - and potions to preserve it. So naturally it needs a bit of a trim but I'm getting the itch to cut a bit more off and reinvent myself. Sure I could tie it up to keep it away from the back of my neck and my face but I guess I don't like the texture it gives to my hair. While I wait to find out what I'm going to do with the next year of my life I've collected this small menagerie of images to serve as inspiration for other girls in the same boat.

1- unknown, 3- Ghost World (2001). 4a & b- Naomi Campbell by
Gustavo Papaleo, c- unknown. 5a- commissioned portrait by Essine, b-  Ceedling by Annie Thomas, hair color/cut/style by Salon Cyan. 7a- Arvida Bystrom, c- unknown. 8. 9a, b- Edward Scissorhands (1990). 10- Stephanie Rookie Yearbook, 11. 12a, b- Chloë Sevigny. 2, 6, 7b- Rosie Newton's instagram.

12 comments:

  1. You'd look amazing with short hair! I think once I finish school Im gonna do the same!

    ROSALINDIS// http://rosalindis.blogspot.com.es/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nothing's set in stone yet- but it's always nice to hear what other people think (especially about something so drastic!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. your hair isn't dry :O it looked really soft and shiny to me, but i suppose everyone's hair looks soft and shiny in comparison to mine haha. if you cut your hair you should keep the pony and use it for art or make hair extensions or a mini doll of yourself

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. omg yes or plait it into a lock of hair and tape it into my art journal that would be totally perfect

      Delete
  4. Im the complete opposite, I've had short hair my whole life and just want it too be long!!!

    The Velvet Black // UK Style, Beauty Blog

    ReplyDelete
  5. In the last year I have gone from having waist length hair to it just resting on my shoulders and I am still tempted to go even shorter. All my life I've had long hair as I was always told how pretty and feminine it was - especially from my mum who always persuaded me to keep my long locks. Now that I'm older and can make my own decisions, cutting my hair has been my fave one yet. Everyone says it suits me way better and though I am still trying to get used to styling it's so much fun!! So I say if you want to chop your hair then chop it. It's gonna grow back anyway.

    Cats In Crop Tops

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. that's been my mantra lately anyway (it's gonna grow back) but I was wondering if I should dye it a lot before I get a huge hair cut?
      But it's so expensive to maintain dyed hair, I don't know how other women do it!

      Delete
  6. I wish my hair would grow, it won't get past my shoulders now.

    www.kindoflovely.com || AUS Fashion/Lifestyle
    p.s I am giving away a £30 ASOS voucher on my blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. ugh that's what I'm afraid of too though (in case it gets too stressed and damaged after chemical use and heat etc.)

    and thanks for the heads up about the asos voucher <3

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cutting your hair short is SO liberating! I cannot emphasise that enough! I spent from about grad 6 - year 9 with short-ish hair because I straightened it like there was no tomorrow. When I was finally able to grow it out to a good length in year 11, it was SO ratty and I hated it. Then I cut it super short and I've pretty much had it like that since then!

    Take the plunge, hair always grows back! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I generally take good hair of my hair, like I don't straighten it to death and I have some good conditioners and nourishing treatments so it hasn't gotten ratty yet.

      If I dye it enough it might though. Then I'd probably have to wear short hair :P

      Delete