Saturday, October 11, 2014

Prom Queen


Even though it is totally the wrong time of year for prom, and I never experienced it for myself, lately with so many assignments due I keep daydreaming about movies and magical pop culture moments like Pretty in Pink. So when I really should be studying or catching up on homework, I made this moodboard instead as an ode to all things pink, glittery and nostalgic. I think what's so appealing about this notion or representation of prom is that secretly we all like having the chance to dress up.

To become something else and transform in front of our friends and peers while looking our best, even if it's just for one special night. Or like Tina from Bob's Burgers we want a DJ, smoke machine and to have that magic moment where we see 'the one' from across the dance floor. And have the perfect kiss underneath the disco ball.
Prom also acts to removes the pretense and stigma of "I woke up like dis"- we can look good but acknowledge that we got our hair and make up done all day but proudly talk about it? I dunno I just think it's really great on a whole bunch of levels because we can show of our personal style as an extension of our tastes and aesthetic.

If you're having trouble finding the perfect dress, or simply a company that stocks a wide variety of dresses in a variety of colours, styles and sizes Avida Dress make gorgeous formal dresses, prom and bridesmaid dresses to suit all occasions. And when I say they stock all sizes, I mean they stock all sizes including plus size as well and they look AMAZING so now all babes of different body shapes and sizes can look as cute as Disney princesses ♡ ♡ ♡ They also offer custom tailoring which I think is simply incredible service for an online store. It's this inclusion of women with all types of body sizes is what makes me the most excited about this announcement- and the prices are pretty affordable too.

Even if you don't have prom coming up/ have now left school they do gorgeous cocktail dresses and some of them have immaculate sequin details on the bust. Or if you want to channel your inner mermaid they have long dresses with trails and ruffles too. There is literally something to suit everybody there and if you haven't yet you should definitely check it out. I've included some of my favourite pink dresses below in keeping with the prom-themed moodboard and inspired by characters such as Andy Walsh and Tina Belcher but don't feel like you have to aspire towards something pink and puffy like a marshmallow.

1a, c- True Stories (1986). 2- The Virgin Suicides via Style Rookie. 3- Salvation Mountain. 4a, b- Twin Peaks (1990), c- Pageant Girls by Petra Collins for Rookie Mag.6. 7a, b & c- unknowns. 10a- Courtney Love, b- Tavi 's birthday party, c. 11- Style Rookie. 15a, c. 1b & 12- The Pulp Zine interview with Cherry Glazer. 13, 14 & 15b- The Loved One Prom series by Marina Fini (makeup and hair by Veronica Chanel and wardrobe from The Loved One). 5 & 9- Courtney Love's diary. 8 & 16- The Virgin Suicides (1999).

*This is a sponsored post

6 comments:

  1. I've been sick all weekend.. :'( This post was very soothing :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you, there isn't such thing as prom where I live, we graduate and dress up but not the typical dance and everything, and the pictures you chose are lovely, I recognized some right away ��

    www.whatshedid.co.vu

    ReplyDelete
  3. "I like sad songs. They make me want to lie on the floor." Haha, that's perfect. Prom can be kinda blah depending on the kind of person you are. I'm a blah person. My dress was safe/boring (though basically all of my friends have said that, if they could do it over again, they would have dressed entirely differently). And I just sat around being awkward by myself half the time because I didn't like the music that was played. >< But now that I really think about it, there were some other things going on that put a damper on my experience...high school was a weird time. Anyways, even if you don't/didn't go to prom, I think it's worth finding/creating other opportunities to dress up and be frilly and pink for a whole night. Make your own fun, that kind of thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. maybe because high school was such a weird time that it kind of is a big celebration- even the act of skipping prom and like, rebelling against the norm can be a celebration of yourself. but yeah it's definitely about making your own fun

      Delete
  4. You really weren't kidding - the prices of the dresses are so affordable. May or may not have been browsing at the wedding dresses with my mouth wide open too. I had two proms and didn't enjoy either of them - my year group didnt really get on well as there was very much a divide between us and them (us being my group of 'rejects' and unpopular people). I expected my second prom at 18 to be quite sophisticated as we'd all grown up a bit but it really wasnt. All the chavs were ridiculously drunk and rowdy and behaving completely opposite to how they were dressed. I'm sure not everyone's prom is like how mine were but I still kinda wish I hadn't gone and just stayed in with my cat watching movies.

    Cats In Crop Tops

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. omg yay I'm glad you checked out the wesbite that makes me so so happy <3 <3
      we weren't allowed alcohol at my school formal or valedictory dinner and I suppose there was a reason why. I guess you have to go to find out whether you do like prom or not. Sometimes it's not all it's cracked up to be, but I think you find that happens more than you'd think in life

      Delete