Monday, September 1, 2014

Who Do You Think You Are?







Wearing: Thrifted cheongsam, Romance Was Born jacket and Lipstick jelly sandals.

I bought this dress a few weeks ago at my local op shop and knew right away how I wanted to style it. Originally I wanted to wear this outfit after I dyed my hair peroxide blond but since that's no longer happening I can reveal what might be my favourite outfit of the year. This dress only cost me $10 but it's absolutely gorgeous- it fits like a glove and I love the rich blue colour as well as the dragon and peacock design. And before anyone thinks they can call me out on cultural appropriation they should know I am biracial, my mother is Chinese Malay and my dad is Australian.

It was only recently that I learned about the evils of yellow fever which came to me as a revelation that Asian women were fetishised for being passive when in my own home my own mother was a hell raiser, and still is. Every argument that I can remember, every major conflict in my household and anytime a voice is raised is largely to do with my mother. When I was younger I hated it but reflecting on the kind of childhood and home I grew up in, I am kind of in awe of her as my role model. That she refused to be subservient as a housewife and was determined to rejoin the workforce. She is a constant inspiration and I am honored to call her my mother. Even though there are times when I still feel confused about how to reconcile the differences between my Asian and white identities, I know who I am and what I want to do with my life.

7 comments:

  1. such an awesome outfit! I love the concept too. You look amazing <3

    http://roseandvintage.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. great post and find! and same opinion on the subject of the whole yellow fever objectification- very disgusting.
    xx http://1finedai.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. In regards to your comment on cultural appropriation, I find it really interesting how racial background is so strongly emphasised in our culture. It is interesting that in regards to cultural appropriation, we often feel like we can only justify our actions or the way we dress with our racial background. I feel like this approach to what is 'acceptable' in regards to cultural appropriation is flawed. For example, my cousin is half Chinese, but that part of her racial identity isn't a big part of her identity as an individual. I'm not Chinese, but living in Taiwan has left a huge mark on my identity as an individual. Why is it that our culture values blood so strongly? Why do so many discussions of cultural appropriation focus so strongly on blood when it comes down to who can or can't participate in particular cultural activities? I'm racially Hawaiian, but I'm not culturally Hawaiian. If I were to go into Hawaii I would get a load of crap from people who aren't racially Hawaiian because they are culturally Hawaiian and I'm not. It is important to consider cultural appropriation theoretically, but theoretical discussions really don't take into account our lived experiences as individuals. Also, damn that jacket and dress were made for each other.

    Glitterous Clitoris

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel ya' and the whole nature vs. nuture adds a whole other level of complexity to these discussions. I mean yeah I have blood that flows through my veins but I didn't go to Malaysia until I was 12 and I've never been to China but I feel like maybe it's something I should do? Not because I feel like I'm entitled to it but to try and figure out where I am and how I exist as a person in society.

      When I went to the Melbourne Art Fair an American born Japanese artist was trying to reconcile these differences, much in the same way the Joy Luck Club explores how we can sometimes "lose" our cultural identity through immigration. There's a kind of rebellion against traditional culture for a lot of the daughters, but then they regret it later. I think I am experiencing regret now.

      Delete
    2. But yeah the jacket and dress together are insanely tight and it makes me super happy

      Delete
  4. For some weird reason, that jacket + dress go soo well together. Plus I generally love juju jellies, this outfit stole my heart!
    (Are you on lookbook.nu, by the way?)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. aww thank you! No I'm not (I really should though). I guess I am just generally lazy when it comes to social media and editing photos before I post them online

      Delete