Sunday, August 3, 2014

The Great Wave





Wearing: Thrifted shirt, skirt bought at a garage sale, handmade beaded shawl, Verner belt, Nicholas Kirkwood X Rodarte shoes.

So I was meant to wear this awesome beaded shawl in this post but at the time it just didn't seem to go well with the sequined dress so I decided to exclude it from that outfit. I bought it at the Alice Euphemia Garage sale for fifty bucks, with no information available about the designer other than the mysterious tag which read "L.A." the initials of the designer. The store owner Karen later explained she was a Melbourne gal making clothes but had since moved to Sydney to pursue a career in hospitality. The name of LA escapes me, but I humbly thank her for making such a wonderful little garment for me to find and treasure. It really is a treasure- it was nothing more than a scrap piece of material with a whole lot of beading and although the ends are fraying it feels really special. I wish more people wore stuff like this. I felt drawn to it because it made me feel like a weird Comme des Garçons angel and the heavy beads were contrasted against the lightweight nature of the sheer fabric.

It's a really odd, delicate piece but I love it so much, it's carefully wrapped in tissue paper in a little corner of my room as we speak. What's really significant about this piece for me is that it's white. I usually avoid white because it either makes me feel like a giant baby at a baptism or a bride straight out of a Hollywood C-grade film and I don't appreciate either of this comparisons. But obviously this is different because instead I feel luxurious but still very comfortable in my own skin. I think that fashion should ascend into personal style rather than make us feel we should try to conform to style as some sort of formula or math problem. That is the most satisfying outcome with the greatest reward and sense of satisfaction.

3 comments:

  1. I love every aspect of this outfit. Those shoes are amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. aw thank you! I was a bit reluctant to post these photos but now I'm glad I did :)

      Delete
  2. I really love everything about this outfit, especially the skirt. And wow, I totally agree with what you're saying. Far too many people fall victim to fashion and following trends. I always feel my best when I feel unique.

    Cats in Crop Tops

    ReplyDelete