Monday, August 25, 2014

post tropical





Wearing: Romance was Born dress, Cue skirt, American Apparel socks and Rubi shoes platforms.

Lately I've been thinking about the changing aesthetic of my Tumblr dashboard, art journals and paintings in general. Now I do not do painting and I stopped doing art in my senior years of high school in the pursuit of science and until recently I had not regretted it. I always thought to myself  "Oh if I really did want to do that so badly I would have enrolled in a class for it on like a weekend or something". And of course I never have and I continue to exist in my own little weird world quite happy most of the time but often when I admire the craftsmanship on a piece of clothing, or the intensity of a colour well I get all depressed about it. I don't have the skill set or technique to be able to articulate my own interpretation of that item or lighting or object and it honestly makes me a little sad that I don't have enough time to hone a craft and become really good at something. This outfit was kind of fueled by this certain kind of frustration.

6 comments:

  1. i love this outfit! the dress is beaaauutifuuul. i gave up art a few years ago and i regret it too :/ i still find time to do artistic things but not to the same level i would if i was studying it as well.

    http://prettypassionsfinefashions.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's kind of what makes me sad most of all- I lack understanding of technique or perspective so everything I make looks flat and 1-dimensional? It drives me crazy!

      Delete
  2. I get that sorta frustration all the time. My biggest regret was taking biology A level instead of Art because my sister convinced me Art would be useless. Safe to say I failed biology cos my heart just wasn't in it :/ But you know, its nice to be able to be creative in other ways such as fashion. Don't be disheartened! If you want to do something then do it, don't let the fear of not having a certain skill put you off. Skill comes with practice :)

    Cats in Crop Tops

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is good advice, thanks! I can only make better art, if I first make terrible art (this is true for all things, not just art). I think I just need more patience and persistence :)

      Delete
  3. your style is amazing! the skirt is totally my thing:)
    *new follower alarm*

    xo Charlotte - aliceroxy

    ReplyDelete