Friday, August 22, 2014

Melbourne Art Fair 2014

















Wearing: Dangerfield soupy dress and socks, American Apparel shirt, thrifted crochet jacket, POMS earrings and necklace, dog brooch from ginettepomette (etsy), buttons from Melbourne Art Fair and Harrison T-bars. Today's post is a little bit different. On Sunday I went to the Melbourne Art Fair at the Royal Exhibition Building and saw some art so I thought I would post the photos I took there. Initially I just wanted to go because Melbourne-based artist and regular Rookie contributor Minna Gilligan was running the 'creative space'. That's the activity room for kids complete with National Geographics, vintage books, pencils and textas to make your very own Minna-inspired collage. I gave it a go but I was more interested in the works of others, as well as the eight new works Minna  created in honour of the event. We chatted briefly but at the same time her family had arrived so we didn't get to talk much. Even though it was the last day of the event and there were only two designs left, I got the 'Go with your Heart' button from her though and I really love the design on this. It's a nice mantra to keep in mind when making art.

One of the attendants chatted with me afterwards about making collages and how it takes a whole day to make one really good collage and I agree! I thought maybe there was something wrong with me or I was just being lazy but it's nice to have someone else speak their mind on the creative process. I'm very interested in making my own collages and stuff, but I've noticed that everything is very linear and process-oriented so I was hoping to get some inspiration for future works. I was looking at exhibits picking up business cards,
brochures, buttons and just about anything I could get my hands on for almost five hours- and I picked up a lot of material to use for my art journal. These are the rest of the photos I took albeit a little but jumbled.















7 comments:

  1. This looks really interesting!! I love Minna's work and that pin is so cute <33 xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never heard of Minna Gilligan but wow, her work is amazing! I love the 'Modern art = I could do that + Yeah, but you didnt' because it is sooo true haha. Also, that cardigan has got me falling in love again!

    Cats in Crop Tops

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Minna does great work, I highly recommend you check out her blog if you haven't already!

      I feel the same way about modern art but whenever I try to make something it's really hard! haha

      Delete
  3. Actually obsessed with your outfit, everything is perfect but that dress is just unreal! Looks great with the cardigan. Minna's work is fabulous too x

    britishmermaid.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh woah thanks for posting about this! I really wanted to go (after seeing on Minna's blog). It's so nice to see some of the work that was there, I really love those swimmers the best and that modern art piece. Cool stuff. Great outfit too. XX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you like the photos- it's encouraged me to do this sort of thing more often! The tea towel with the modern art equation holds possibly the greatest truth of our generation, I love it so much

      Delete