Tuesday, August 19, 2014

it's hip to be square

During semester break I would normally take the time to tidy my room and decorate it but since I went on camp, in a way, I lost that time. It's only now that I am swooning over pastel houses or obsessing over creepy suburban girl's bedrooms and watching certain sequences from Edward Scissorhands. I've been thinking a lot about my experiences from high school, the good and the bad and sometimes imagining what it could have been like. It makes me feel kind of sad that when I reflect on that period of my life I have so few actual memories and a lot of it feels like time wasted but it's nice to cheer myself up about these things by making moodboards. I wanted to combine those pastel colours with the blocky architecture of buildings inspired by designs from the 1960s and 1970s to make the ~ultimate~ inspiration post. But the truth is I don't think it's possible to include every photograph that inspired by this. It's better left unfinished so I can come back to this.

1- Beach Houses from Teenage Stories by Julia Fullerton-Batten 2005. 2a- DEVO at Knebworth Rock Festival, Feeling Magazine in 1978 & c- The Simpsons. 4a- Style Rookie, b- Hotel by Callum Morton. 5. 6a- unknown. 7a- John Divola, b- Akris Fall 2011. 8- all unknown. 9- screencaps from Grease (1978). 10- Madge in Desperately Seeking Susan, the video for Lust for Life by Girls, unknown, and Brenda Walsh. 11a- Rookie Mag, b- "Underwear" by Julia Fullerton-Batten - 2005, c- unknown. 12a- Style Rookie, b- Ghost World by Daniel Clowes, c- unknown 1950s pink bedroom design. 13- screencaps from Pretty in Pink (1986). 2b, 3a & b, 6b- Balenciaga Fall 2010 details.

5 comments:

  1. Hmm, it's pretty interesting. I never even noticed the relationship between pastels and blocky architecture before, but it totally makes sense.

    Also, I totally relate to the feelings about the "wasted youth" feelings. I spend a good number of months being upset with myself for wasting so much time and for being too scared to be myself. So I'm working on that now, and honestly, your blog has helped me, I think. You have such boldness in your style, and it's really inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think there comes a time in your life where you have to ask yourself "is this how I want to live my life? do I really want to live with the fear of being true to myself?"

      and yeah, it is hard, but it is so thoroughly rewarding when people response positively and they get it. And I think you can't be too hard on yourself, when you could otherwise put that energy towards what is happening now in your life. Don't let the past distract you from what great things you can achieve today

      Delete
  2. You would really like San Francisco. The houses are really colorful. http://sfcitizen.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/1077139979_617f254f82_o-copy.jpg This is a picture of my favorite house, it is painted like a rainbow. Pastel purples and pinks are really popular there. The Sunset District is especially colorful and I think it would really appeal to you.

    Glitterous Clitoris

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I went to San Francisco and California when I was 17!! The houses are all painted really beautiful colours but the roads are like crazy steep and my gosh it's cold when it's windy, but I would like to go back. sometime.

      Delete