Saturday, August 30, 2014

DI$COUNT UNIVER$E MBFWA 2014




I don't know what I've been doing for the last couple of months because I somehow managed to forget to blog about the Di$count Universe collection? Which is ridiculous because they were by far the highlight of the whole event and noted by various media outlets. Of course there are some who probably weren't impressed by the sparkling array of sequined dresses but as an artistic expression I think we can all admire designers Nadia and Cami's vision for the brand and their continuing evolution. They've introduced more texture by balancing heavy sequins with lycra to create some skin-coloured leggings embellished in handmade tatoo designs as well as skin-tight crop tops and long draping dresses. Colourful fur stoles were also introduced to add depth and volume to the runway look but it's the full-length that really showcase the workmanship of these pieces.

This was by far the biggest, most bombastic collection yet undoubtedly helped by international recognition and publicity from the likes of Miley Cyrus wearing a Di$count t-shirt spotted a few months ago.
One can only hope that they go on to bigger and better things for their next collection and they continue to experiment and breath new life into what can be a monotonous Australian fashion industry.
*Photos by Matt Jelonek for Di$count Univer$e

3 comments:

  1. What a collection!!! omg
    Visit my blog? Leave me a comment if you did!

    Sammie
    my blog
    Bloglovin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a great collection. Its like if Vivienne Westowod teamed up with Prada and Jeremy Scott you'd get Discount Universe. I need that last outfit in my life. Thank you again for the book i received it a while ago and just wanted to let you know i have it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW!!!! I am so in love with this collection oh my gosh <333

    ReplyDelete