Thursday, June 19, 2014

She can beat me, but she cannot beat my outfit






Wearing: Romance was Born dress, thrifted Doraemon backpack, Zana Bayne PVC harness, American Apparel socks and Vivienne Westwood X Melissa shoes.

I didn't do a superficial CFDA red carpet review at the time but I felt that I should acknowledge Rihanna's dress in what was perhaps the most memorable moment in fashion for 2014. This is kind of my homage to all things sparkly but without my nipples being visible. The bustier of the dress is still kind or ornate with its pseudo-art deco beads so it is tangentially related. I bought this dress and a beaded vest thing at the Alice Euphemia Garage Sale and they later posted my bathroom selfie on instagram which made me feel ridiculously happy and like an accomplished fashion blogger. The tiles in the bathroom just so happened to match the denim of the dress and while I am normally not one for posting selfies using a mirror but it just felt necessary, ya know?
This outfit feels extra special to me- it's possibly my favourite for the year and whenever I wear something special I feel really empowered by it but the idea or concern that girls should be competing with each other is generally yucky and should be abolished. So in summary Swarovski crystal dresses with visible nipples is good, girl hate is bad.

*Also, in related news American Apparel Board have kicked out the founder and CEO Dov Charney
!? Please let this be real, he is a gross slime ball and I want to wear my cute frilly ankle socks without feeling slightly gross knowing there is a stigma attached behind this brand.

15 comments:

  1. Dat dress! Makes me want to get a glue gun and plastic jewels and throw 'm on a dress. (I've been wanting to do that on a bustier, but I can't find a good plain one).

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your outfits = so good!! They are one of my biggest inspirations and I'm always really ecstatic to see a new post of yours on my Blogger dashboard. As always, great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. aw thank you that's so humbling to hear :)

      Delete
  4. This outfit is so pretty! I love the colour palette, it reminds me of Sofia Coppola's movies, which always I think are so dreamy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yesss sophia coppola little mermaid vibes 4ever

      Delete
  5. i saw the selfie on your instagram and was really hoping you'd post a full outfit and it's sooooooooooo good. thank you for celebrating the beauty that is rihanna. also yesyesyes the skeevy creepy aa CEO is gone (!!!) i think i might be able to let myself enter an american apparel store again. amazing post!

    //kanyinsola

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. aww thank you and wanted to tie in the serious amount of bling with pop culture-

      YAY HE'S GONE!! Now we can actually celebrate sweatshop free clothing without having some horrible tyrant getting our money

      Delete
  6. I love this outfit you put together and the bag is so cute! :) Dov Charney should have been kicked off AA a long time ago:/. He's basically the Terry Richardson of the company. Your dress reminds me of this shrine http://media-cache-ec0.pinimg.com/736x/68/b9/ed/68b9ed70cf934b2ede4a64e4b732b254.jpg

    styleriottt.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. HOLY MOLEY! Adele... you are smiling! I could have guessed this was your favorite outfit of the year before I even read your caption ;) You know what would make this outfit even more awesome? If you had pastel blue hair, or maybe light blonde hair with a pastel blue ombre :O That would be seriously seriously cool, and then you could just wear this outfit everyday and if people ask why you can just tell them that you're coordinating your outfit to your hair *swooshy hair flipping ensues* ♥

    Glitterous Clitoris

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i guess i've kind of been in denial about smiling in photos being that important... I've actually wanted to dye my hair grey/ white for a while now but my mum's always pedantic about these kinds of things but yeah i think it would make me wear more blue/ green/ purple and less warm colours which would change my personal style but i think what i need right now is change

      Delete
  8. Love this outfit, I need the dress omg. And like what Kimchi said,you should definitely dye your hair a washed out pastel colour. I tired to go pastel purple but it turned out it wasn't pastel and it came out pink! My mum wasn't too happy either lol
    www.lexiealexandra.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Man this dress is dope, you look like a baroque painting; especially the bottom part-- looks a little bit like ornate lady armor. Also vaguely reminds me of this: http://38.media.tumblr.com/b875025d285e66f9250ede245a2fa49c/tumblr_mjwobaDEbY1rb44tmo1_500.jpg

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. omg that like is dope i need to srsly get on this- i got ornate lady armour vibes too tbh so it's fancy but also a little bit badass <3

      Delete