Thursday, March 20, 2014

Phiney Pet Spring '14




Introducing Phiney Pet, aka the new brand of my dreams. In such a short amount of time they have managed to create their own defined sense of style and universe of well-dressed babes. The designs are bright, colourful and super-charged with imagination and nostalgia. Much like Creatures of the Wind being untraceable in origin, Phiney Pet borrows a bit of everything to create a melting pot of ideas. My personal favorites from this collection include the jumpsuit reminiscent of a 1960s kitchen and the cat dress with pom pom jumper. There is certainly a willingness towards experimentation with their Spring 2014 range featuring pleats, jumpsuits and leather jackets. Demonstrating a variety of different techniques combined with a baggy and androgynous silhouette my mouth is watering over collection making fashion accessible to the modern teenager.




The backdrop to their dreamy photo shoot was an idealized park complete with basketball courts, playground and ice-cream van, refreshing compared to the sterile studio spaces. Then again, I tend to prefer street style and the outfits of fashion bloggers rather than the calm and controlled environment of a runway show. I'm more interested in the interaction between the real world and people who aren't necessarily intrigued by fashion with weird and crazy outfits. The choice of their photo shoot cements a narrative which epitomizes youth culture without being patronizing. It feels like Phiney Pet are representing their collections in a very practical yet imaginative way not too dissimilar from graduate collections presented at fashion weeks across the world. The key difference being Phiney Pet have reached commercial success and already have a small but dedicated following of fashion hungry followers. 




What won me over, other than everything was their dreamy lookbook including vignette photography and quirky stickers. Their presentation seems particularly relevant to me because lately I've felt that I have two different aesthetics. The first that comes to mind is the way I dress and structure my blog. The second is how I organize and decorate my journals. Both include a lot of colour and patterns but my books and dairies always feel slightly cartoonish compared with my outfits. I haven't yet mastered how to combine the serious side of fashion with the imaginary, collaged landscapes but I feel like this designer offers a springboard of new ideas. Phiney Pet remind us that fashion is not about dressing to please others, but is something that allows us to silently communicate to everyone else what kind of person we are and what we like. 



*All Images via phineypet.com

2 comments:

  1. these clothes are to die for. i'd love to get my hands on that pleated puffy dinosaur dress. now if only they had an online shop.... haha

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are really awesome pictures! :) Nice post!

    x Dawn
    www.wickedlypleasant.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete