Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Words

I wanted to make a dreamy, rainbow-drenched moodboard inspired by the beauty of words and writing. Lately I've been inspired by the sticker encrusted notes from the Virgin Suicides, but also a certain tackiness that comes with being a teenager. I've been trying to do more stuff for my journals and my books, but I still feel like I can express myself using other people's images found from the Internet. While this largely makes what I create unoriginal, I would like to think this is similar to the challenge of giving old words new meaning. It may feel like everything has already been said, or that the Internet is already full of blogs and it's difficult to be original but anytime I feel like this I think it would be worse not to try at all. Lastly I wanted to leave you with some words of wisdom from wordsmith and badass babe of literature, Virginia Woolf. Read this whenever you may feel overwhelmed trying to write or do anything creative.

"Words, English words, are full of echoes, of memories, of associations. They have been out and about, on people's lips, in their houses, in the streets, in the fields, for so many centuries. And that is one of the chief difficulties in writing them today – that they are stored with other meanings, with other memories, and they have contracted so many famous marriages in the past...  Our business is to see what we can do with the old English language as it is. How can we combine the old words in new orders so that they survive, so that they create beauty, so that they tell the truth? That is the question." - Virginia Woolf

1a- missin' stuff by Essine, b- unknown, c. 3b- Lorde via, c- by Ophelia Horton. 5b- strange and unusual by Essine. 6- video clip to Miss World by Hole. 7a- Summer of Love by Rookie Mag. 9b- Film Stills by Petra Collins for Rookie Mag, c- mini zine by Essine. 10. 12a- Rookie Yearbook Two, b- Film Stills, c- Salvation Mountain. 13. 14a, b- The Breakfast Club (1985), c- unknown via. 2, 8 and 11- screencaps from The Virgin Suicides (1999).
3a, 7b and 9a- Art Journal by Minna Gilligan, via Rookie Mag. 4, 5a- Tavi Gevinson, Summer of Love on Rookie Mag.

3 comments: