Wednesday, January 29, 2014

What we have here is a dreamer












A while ago I made a moodboard about being uninspired, and another one describing the creepiness summer in suburbia has to offer. Unknowingly, I had created a secret link connecting to the opening sequence of The Virgin Suicides. Before we glimpse into the Lisbon sisters’ lives and walk in on Cecilia’s lifeless body floating in the bathtub we see the streets of their neighborhood and breathe in the ordinary, American houses of a bygone era. The whole film is lit with a 1970s influence, a certain air of nostalgia and narrated accordingly. Half way through last year I found a copy of Italian Vogue while thrift shopping from 1999 and some of the editorials and ads captured this spirit. The forest green, dull brown and sky blue were transformed becoming overwhelmingly transcendent and potent with innocence. I wanted to share it with you guys, since it has quietly effected my life like hypnotic background TV static brainwashing my brain when I am about to fall asleep on the couch.

5 comments:

  1. This post is lovely, that magazine looks really cool x

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love the first, and second to last pictures! i wish i would find old copies of italian vogue when i go shopping

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. believe me it never usually happens!

      Delete
  3. Italian Vogue is amazing. It is truly one of my favourite fashion magazines. If only I didn't have to travel to Melbourne to buy copies!

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh wow. the last two pictures make me want to lie under clouds and laugh with my friends.
    x

    ReplyDelete