Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Mean is OK

This morning when I was half asleep I was thinking about the shape of women in society and how rebellion against some ideal notion upsets people. It upsets a lot of people when their mother engages in a sexual relationship, women body builders are met with disgust and women in the professional sector are both undermined but also feared. I wanted to make a moodboard that celebrated the feminist movement with a vintage touch which was inspired by 20th century mugshots from America, candid images of musicians but also subtle suggestions of narcissism.

As women we're kind of told to be "humble" but this often goes misinterpreted and we seriously under sell ourselves- my favorite anecdote on this subject comes from Tavi Gevinson who observed this phenomenon when watching a television sketch of women who fight off compliments. They say things like "Oh this outfit? I got it from a dumpster!" and then they all get killed off. The moral of the story is, no one likes false modesty and embracing your badass bitch side is a good thing (this has been a public service announcement).

1a-
Toni Young, of the 1980s Washington, D.C. punk band “Red C”, b- Hole album art via. 2. 3a- unknown, b- Photo by Ed Van Der Elsken,1955 , c- 60s women mugshots via. 4- Roller skating on Campus, 1950s. 5a, b- Kate Moss by Bruce Weber for Vogue Italia October 1996. 6. 7a, b- 60s women mugshots via, c. 8- MARY ELIZABETH & MAXINE ANASTASIA- Lucia O’Connor-McCarthy Photography. 9a, b- Fran├žoise Hardy listens to Fran├žoise Hardy. 10. 11a, b. 12. 13a- 60s women mugshots via, b- High School Hellcats (1958), c. 14- Cynthia, Maureen and Pattie enjoying Cokes and tea at the Edelweiss Hotel while waiting for their men to finish filming a scene outside the hotel, March 1965 .

7 comments:

  1. Yes yes yes This reminds me a bit of that whole "discussion" where 40 yr old men try to convince people that selfies are incredibly narccisstic because mostly young women take them, and of course, anything a young woman does is probably vain and needs to be entirely deconstructed and young women shouldn't be able to know that they have a place in the world where they can feel good about themselves*sorry for the sarcasm I'm just very irritated by that whole idea* anyhow, i love this moodboard (all your moodboards are pure perfection). I once saw this picture of these little schoolgirls in their uniforms (who are supposed to be the epitome of innocence) being arrested and having mugshots taken and I thought that was very cool.

    //velveteenstyle.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes yes yes to everything you say Kani

      Adele: this moodboard is perfection and I totally agree

      -Aida
      x

      http://sunshinesuperwoman.blogspot.co.uk

      Delete
    2. Thanks Kani! I think that group of middle-aged men should be educated by the very wise Ezra of Vampire Weekend. To quote him:

      "When I'm on Instagram and I see that somebody took a picture of themselves, I'm like, 'Thank you.' I don't need to see a picture of the sky, the trees, plants. There's only one you. I could Google image search 'the sky' and I would probably see beautiful images to knock my socks off. But I can't Google, 'What does my friend look like today?' "

      and the schoolgirl mugshots are cool on a whole other level

      Delete
  2. I love this post and its message so much! I hope it inspires people :) I'm glad I found your blog^^

    ReplyDelete
  3. love these pictures :) completely agree with what you've said!

    http://perpetual-perplexities.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah I agree so much! Even in high school, girls are "taught" that the wholehearted acceptance of a compliment is narcissistic and that we should instead deny deny deny to look better, when the opposite is really true. Perfect moodboard!

    http://anexerciseofmyfaculties.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it all sounds pretty fishy to me, like part of a big conspiracy in which women are taught to be afraid of their own image rather than embracing it and totally owning whatever makes us special

      Delete