Friday, January 3, 2014

KS Swim Crystal Visions


I attribute the depression/ anxiety associated with buying a new bathing suit each year due to the lack of body positivity generally represented in the media, magazines and fashion industry creating an external, unrealistic expectation on what a woman's body "should" look like. But it's futile to blame all of my problems on KS Swim, a subset of Karla Spetic who have provided neat ways of incorporating *the wonders of mother nature* on bikinis and magical one-pieces, so they can be almost forgiven. Almost. To sweeten the deal, Karla Spetic is an Australian designer label and one of my favourite brands striving to bring something new to the table in an increasingly competitive world were small fashion designers are being blown out of the water by big international companies.  


Although I don't own anything from this collection myself, I have been aching for an excuse to buy a cute bodysuit or printed swimsuit to wear under strange sheer shirts or dresses for a more complicated and layered look in my own outfits. I'd like to labor this point because next year I will be a GEOLOGY MAJOR which I am super excited about. So it would seem my two favourite things; being a science student and fashion blogger have been combined into one tidy package. It's not often you can find dreamy pieces of quartz or other complicated crystals emblazoned on clothing either, without the advent of digital printing it would have been an impossibility ten years ago- but now I can enjoy strange and cool clothes worn by unique babes.


For those of you maybe less concerned about gemstones and slick digital prints Karla Spetic created their collection in a range of eye-popping colours. Next to my weird and extreme love of science and geology, rainbows and colour are on my mental wish list for designers to fulfill. I think this is equally important considering the cliche notion of enjoying exotic mixed drinks by the pool on holidays- wearing something glorious and vibrant is the epitomizes Summer. A range of colour also means satisfying the needs of many different women and allowing them to exercise choice- when maybe you invest in one or two swimsuits a season this is also important.


With the exception of skimpy bottoms that can be undone with a simple tug of a bow, the actual design of the synthetic nylon bikinis appears unyielding to the elements, such as tumultuous waves threatening to knock off flimsy swimsuits. The halter neck bandeaus are what I would personally lean towards, with killer designs and a shape that seems to work with the fluid movement of water, strong enough for lap swimming. Even for fashion out of the pool and worn under thin cotton shirts I think these pieces are high impact and allow Karla Spetic to diversify and grow exploring different niche motifs for the same season. The lookbook was a dreamy composition of bright tropical colour further emphasizing the quirky nature and vision of what I hope can grow to become an iconic Australia designer.


*Karla Spetic Swim SS13 Lookbook via oystermag.com

6 comments:

  1. all the swimsuits look rad! I'd like to own something too, unfortunately I'm broke af :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i'm gonna wait til they hit ebay >:)

      Delete
  2. Ugh these are so cool. I just got new bathers that are just made by speedo but they have photographs printed on them from this photographer's trip to mexico and it's 100% chlorine proof and they're awesome. These are cooler though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Holy shit these are sick

    http://anexerciseofmyfaculties.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. i seriously adore your style of writing.i wish i could write so eloquently about fashion.even though i've been into fashion for all of my teenage years(isnt a long time,im 15),it doesnt get much more complicated than "these clothes are nice lol".finding your blog has been super amazing,i enjoy it so much!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. aww thank you, that's so sweet! I usually write why I like something, what I'd like to wear it with and what is cool about it

      Delete