Sunday, January 20, 2013

We Need To Talk

Image Source

Image Source
Today I've tried my best to create and make interesting aesthetic photographs and DIY headbands for people to enjoy, while also immersing myself in other blogs goodness and short YouTube clips of more abstract films. There was some "American Beauty" from 1999, cutting out cute little jack-o-lanterns on orange paper and with a discerning eye choosing the best fake leaves for my upcoming Rookie inspired crown. Despite all this though and having my usual cup of coffee, I'm in a bad mood. I'm in a bad mood and a bit enraged because people seem to be bashing the word "hipster" a lot lately and I think it's time to explain myself and confess somehow even though I am in no way guilty of any crime. I don't think being a hipster is a bad thing by the way, but two comments I read today seem to be bashing it kind of hard. Of course I am biased though- everyone carries a certain kind of bias and if you think my own personal brand is too much to handle than you can stop reading right away.

Image Source

Image Source

Image Source
Tavi Gevinson addresses the phrase hipster in her article "How Not to Care What Other People Think of You" and says it's broad and implies those people are basically shallow because they don't understand art really well and are superficial and are probably the biggest offenders of "name-dropping". First of all, I studied Chemistry, Physics, Indonesian and Math Methods in senior year. I am in no way dumb and really want to do a masters for Geoscience as my major looking at the formation of rocks and stuff. So first of all, implying hipsters aren't smart people really boils my blood. I started this blog roughly a year ago, but the idea had been swirling around in my goldfish bowl muddle of a brain because I felt compelled to a style that was different from everyone else I knew. I almost named it "Closet Hipster" because identifying with this style seemed peculiar for a boring girl who grew up in the suburbs and in my mind, as drastic as identifying you have a certain orientated sexuality.

Image Source:
Image Souce:
 
Image Source
I was never really like anyone else and when I finally had the self-confidence I broke free and explored it- but felt ASHAMED to do so because I knew it would be immediately questioned again and again, I would garner weird looks from both strangers on the street and my close friends and family. And this hurts. It hurts a lot knowing I can't do what I like and I have to fight for acceptance. But that's the way things are and it sucks and drains my esteem at times. This whole other side of my personality and soul had to be kept a secret in order to please everyone else around me and conform to how other girls my age should act and all the while I thought it suck. Heck- I still think it sucks.
While I do agree that whatever comes under the term 'hipster' is a really broad spectrum and is not exclusively reserved for pants that hug at the hips anymore I don't think it should be used as such a negative term.

Image Source

Image Source
I identified with it, named my blog after it and chased after cool images and clothing to find what tastes defined the kind of person I hoped to become and at the age of fifteen or whatever I didn't want to be a totally glamour obsessed fashionista either since I really don't enjoy heavy makeup or always having to be nicely presented. Please, if you are going to "bash" the phrase hipster I ask could you not do it here? I know I am presenting myself online for the world to see and should handle scrutiny better but there is surely a better place to do it other than making someone else miserable. It's not good for the soul!

Image Source

No comments:

Post a Comment