Sunday, January 20, 2013

Pop

Image Source: nikolawashere
By Nikola Pavlinovic 

Image Source
Today involved another mini-marathon road trip with my father as practice for my license. Without a solid and sturdy case for my new phone though I left it at home and didn't get to take a picture of the jelly slice I had for lunch. Which was a shame, because it was really cute and made in a small town. I also met the cutest grey and fluffy cat outside an op shop, which just makes me want to get a little kitty of my own even more. The thrift store looked so good with opportunities and crannies to explore but sadly, being Sunday it was closed. A sign out the front said you could walk away with a filled bag for just $5. It made me want to cry knowing I could have filled the cat with so much second hand gold and treasure. Dad said we could go back again maybe next weekend or the week after which is fantastic since by then I'll have some money to splurge on fake flowers and pretty lampshades. So the next two weeks I am going to seriously break into eBay listings and make some room for my bedroom makeover.



Image Source


Image Source
Even though I am about 30 hours off and still haven't done my hazards, I know exactly how I'll celebrate entering the secret sanctum of road worthiness. To celebrate when I do reach my probationary license and have the legendary red 'P' plats hanging from my car, I'm thinking of making a garland to match in lieu of a Facebook announcement. While many of my high school peers have had their license for at least a year, I trailed behind and instead chose to focus in senior year on grades and science obsession which unfortunately took over my life. So there will be black string, little red squares and the letters H, I, N, A, L, L, and Y to be completed with the infamous red 'P' plate and status update somewhere. I am so excited to tackle all this stuff already and get it over with. My new phone and new found responsibilities must be spilling over into all aspects of my life at the moment. Next thing you'll know I'll be buying cardboard boxes online and packing things away for the future of moving out of home. And then my older brother will be still living at home with our parents.


Image Source: Grease
Image Source


Image Source: Rookie Mag
I've spent most of this post discussing what it means to drive a car and stuff, which is all very good but there are alternate modes of transport I feel I should acknowledge too. The above snapshot however beautiful and encapsulating the true spirit of Rookie Mag and great sisterhood isn't very realistic. If you wear those type of clothes when skateboarding you had better damn well hope you're good on a deck- or otherwise be handy with tweezers salvaging tiny specks of tulle from open cuts. I'm cranky- being on the road almost four hours a day has that kind of affect on me but it will all be worth it in the end. Otherwise I will probably become one of these angelic girls skating around to work in order to make some money. Which is a little difficult since I live five kilometres from work and will not survive that long relying on leg power and sheer grit and toughness (I'm about as tough as a jam donut).



Image Source

Image Source


Image Source
There are whole stores and mini-communities dedicated towards denim and that elusive, tough and hardy material. I don't know whether I want to be apart of that anymore. I was really against wearing jeans as a child- haunted by the scraping sounds of my mother's inseams clashing together as she walked around the house. It was my own little fashion hell even at a very young age and likened to fingernails on a chalkboard. I started wearing proper jeans in high school but I want to deviate away from all that again, limiting myself to a statement denim jackets with very outright and opinionated patches emblazoning my love for feminism and maybe colourful denim. It's a helpful way to force myself to make creative decisions again when pulling together outfits and not wearing the same pair of pants with a sweater for a month in Winter. I am determined not to let that happen again. A lighter workload for university is sure to help as well.


Image Source: Napoleon Dynamite

Image Source
This is just about the most perfect marketing slogan I can imagine in the history of teenage-girl-dome. The fact that this movie is Japanese (is it?) and she has a cute little wagon just makes me think of a cross-cultural Napoleon Dynamite parallel story happening across the seas. In case I'm unclear, Deb who went around with her plastic key chain business has been replaced with a cute little cat rental business. It would all seem very seedy without that umbrella shading the poor little pussy cats. She shows genuine concern for her companions and even has a cat-face-shaped satchel which has been a very popular Kawaii favourite of the season. Unfortunately the very same bags I speak of are hard to come by if you can't navigate Japanese online stores.

Image Source: Adventure Time

Image Source: Christopher Kane

Image Source:

Image Source
Being still just a young teenager, but on the verge of twenty I can only really discuss babies and stuff with a cringing look in my face or just pure subversion when they are in tiny plastic form and covered in glitter on a bed of fancy lace. Babies are cool and stuff but from hanging out with my boyfriend and his family my mind was blown with all the stuff you need to consider when raising a child from the 'what kind of person will they become?'. Tomboy girl, or have them obsessed with dirt and germs? What will they like and do you use your parenting influence on them to turn them into a mini-version of you? Strictness and rules blah blah blah all set up the boundaries for this kind of stuff and considering I struggle thinking what I like and how to manage that I might explode if I had someone else to consider as well.


Image Source

Image Source

No comments:

Post a Comment