Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Meadham Kirchhoff Fall 2010

My mother has taken to calling me 'princess' over the last hour- which I naturally resent. It all started when an onion attacked my eyes as I chopped it with its volatile awfulness. If I were any type of princess it would be in the style, steadfast and inspired by Meadham Kirchhoff who brought together in a beautiful culmination both the angst and moodiness of a brooding teenager and the cheap enthusiasm of pom pom encrusted bangles. There were t-shirts and long sleeves dressed with with eclecticism and a certain sparkly enthusiasm which I hope to one day share with my teenage daughter. I hope it will become a cult classic in the eyes of youths forever, but Meadham Kirchhoff is still a little bit of a hidden gem and unbeknownst to many Vogue editorials. I hope that changes one day with so much awe-inspiring goodness to explore in the ways of texture and colour all clashing together. Clashing nicely- of course.


Unlike the combination of colours and textures that come about in a teenage girl flurry of throwing clothes into piles and sussing out their potential, there is a definite sense of an elevated art form here. I'm eager to know what the secret is, but I'm guessing it comes from the total immersion within a certain look for six months. Unlike the everyday fanfare of getting dressed as a person a designer has the luxury to dip their toes in and edit before presenting a collection. Skimming the proverbial cream as it were. This look here seems a lot less severe then the opening outfit, but it its in nicely. The white mohair cardigan was an initial surprise, but with the pairing of gold sequins and intricate folds as well as florals I warmed up to it. It all seems to start with sequins and sparkly pipe cleaner crowns which are about as regal as you can get when still living out of home with your parents and on a students budget. 

More tiers than a wedding cake and possibly a bigger hit at parties, Meadham Kirchhoff's Fall collection of 2010 has bid moments that explore like this. There's the most wonderful, almost orgasm-inducing (from a purely respectable and fashion field eye), deconstructed bride wedding veil, multiple materials and the same generous colour palette we've seen thus far. As you can probably tell from my highly colourful drama, The star of the show for me exists as this amazing frilled, berry coloured veil. I dream of owning something like this one day and then wearing it with matching lipstick- or red in contrast to wind people up. Or silver if I could even manage that! I can just see so many different characters fighting to come through hidden behind that particular accessory and I adore that quality of clothing. It hides an absolute plethora of items ranging from a maxi skirt, biker vest with pastel colours and a brocade pattern and sheer abound.


I'm sure we all remember the main protagonist, Max from 'Where the Wild Things Are'. He was a bit of a brat, but we all loved his outsider appeal and the crown/ fur combination. I wonder if either Ed Meadham and Ben Kirchhoff had this in mind when the look was thrown together. Maybe it's my own idolisation, but I can see the different patterns created by sequins on a sheer dress moving to become slashes and stripes amongst a sea of grey glitter and polka dots. It does my heart good to see such patterns and prints so strong in their own right being subversive to the texture of a dress and it's own seductive nature. Don't believe me about the temptress appeal and choosing to focus on a bright fuchsia paper crown and leopard fur coat? Well take a gander over at the red bikini edged in white lace and a cheeky bow tie at the front. Normally I think the combination of red and leopard/ cheetah fur print is cheesy in a 1940s film star point of view, but with so much else going on in the way of eyeshadow, glamorous shine and bikini babe undertones it gets a little lost in translation. A good thing in my own, personal opinion.


I don't mention my love for clothing from the 1980s that much because I find the whole stint rather embarrassing. I was just caught up and getting interested in vintage clothing at the time through eBay and the way colours combined together in eclectic patterns. Also some of the pieces were totally unique and one of a kind, much like this dazzling sweater decorated in fringed tassels and beads, red, yellow and purple. It's sort of stuck between a Day of the Dead, Mexican-esque colour and frenzy which I love when it's combined with beaded black skirts. I've been avoiding the colour black myself within my own wardrobe for much of the Summer so far, but this insight into the shade and its potential to make bright colours shine even more so may just rekindle the love affair. Throwing in thick, chunky bangles with candy stripes of all the colours of the rainbow with chunky socks also has me captivated. That's more like the small, bedroom affair and style I enjoy with a good cup of tea in hand.


What I adore about the head wear featured in this particular collection is the variation in heights and shapes. I usually experiment with the usual headbands and means of decorating them, but I forget and leave behind a whole other dimension of looking at them. For someone such as myself who is getting more and more intrigued by the art of DIY and imitation on a budget, it's worth investigating yet again. Unfortunately I'm also running out of Meadham Kirchhoff collections to review and admire. Another thing I loved about this outfit in particular is the shirt and the scrappy, white tiered curtain hanging just above the bust and over the hemline. I think the subtle breakup of red mesh/ sheer is a wonderful reminder of blood and the richness of its tone. It's like Carrie after being drenched in blood has gotten her own back at all the awful kids that teased and ostracised her but by means of fashion which is slightly less horrifying than the actual ending of the story.


I admit it- I am in love with this dress. I love the misshapen way it falls over a turtleneck sweater; it's a rare omission from the fashion industry to produce a piece of clothing ill-fitting on a model. I'm reminded that Rookie Mag impresses the importance of a young woman granting herself the permission to do as she likes in life, but the melting between the bust of this dress and straps is sublime. It's like a permission slip or the waving wand from a fairy grandmother showing us all glamorous clothing can still look good on when it doesn't fit. Now when you are half crazy and mad after searching thrift store racks for something perfect but under five dollars, that is a bit of a godsend. It's not often you find a large red, cocktail dress in the vain of Jessica Rabbit (of 'Who Framed Roger Rabbit?') but on the off chance you do, I implore you to reach for a tight sweater. It turns the tables on how outfits are composed by wearing the humble jumper underneath a sparkling and totally killer dress.




No comments:

Post a Comment