Saturday, January 26, 2013

Marina and the Diamonds

In all the fanfare and flurry of making my room a little more, stereotypical teenage girl aesthetic fuelled I thought I would mention a great role model for feminism in the music industry. I heard a free listed track from Marina and the Diamonds probably in early 2009 when I attempted to undergo a sort of spiritual awakening of my soul and really explore new things. But since I was listening to so many different and fragmented ideas I didn’t take to it immediately or really anything from that period. It wasn’t lacking in a star factor or anything it just seemed a little lost in a sea of ideas and it didn’t really stick. Returning back to this new world where Marina attempts to break free from the typical expectations society places on women feels liberating. I had previously racked together a swag of images admiring her style of a brunette taking on a blond hairstyle and really making regrowth glamorous and natural. Which is funny because it is a natural phenomena but when there’s little hearts and pink everywhere it seems cute and endearing rather than a sign of exhaustion. Who made the rules to decide that women need to keep attacking their hair dye regularly and line the pockets of their hair stylist some more? Probably saloon big wigs or some other conspirators in a large scale scam. 




Then there was an illuminating conversation (shown at the very bottom of this post) captured in screen caps in which popular culture is broken down into little bite-size pieces and metaphorically I see in my minds eye this modern day heroine stepping and trampling on all the bits. She grows up; leaves behind all the suppressed sexuality stigmata that some female recording artists choose to embrace and become empowered by and is instead witty, wordy and utterly unique. But she doesn’t always seem magical and iridescent like a unicorn. There are moment where she just seems like a normal human being and I think that is as important, if not more in showing that behind all the gossip magazines and other crass material that celebrities are skin and bone humans. It's not a moment of vulnerability or weakness either, it's just a step down from her appearance when performing and for her music videos or just hear earlier days but even then when you consider the lengths some people go to keep up their profile... Well, let's just say I admire her for that gutsiness.




Those bouncy and lustrous curls, and the combination of pink hair bows and very hammed up mascara and eyelashes is tentatively reminiscent of 1950s pin-up girls but Marina is undoubtedly a member of the Girl Gang and avenger of feminism. You can't imagine this young woman being content to wait at home and cooking dinner for her husband, NO. She is out there rocking out and headlining her own shows looking totally fierce and singing songs she can relate to. Which is awesome and powerful considering lyrics can be so personal and sharing them with a wider audience can sometimes be scary. But she looks like she owns the stage, she may look sweet and sugary on the outside but this is all subversive to what message she is really trying to get across. I think Bubblegum Bitch is a nice summary of this pop star, albeit a little harsh. I don't even know what she wrote it about but it's jangly guitar hook is pretty catchy.





I hope we see more of Marina and her message through interviews and stuff because if anyone will but young girls on the right road to finding themselves I have confidence that she is a role model who can with really pretty hair. Sorry, I have trouble letting go of valuing Hufflepuff qualities as put by 'That Mitchell and Webb sound' where the house was described as the kind people... kind of wall flower-ish. I am the wallflower. I am the walrus. Whatever. I want to see that sweet little heart on the side of her face evolve into something else but it's still pretty perfect in an even sweeter Marilyn Monroe tribute to the beauty mark. Also something fun for bored teenagers like me to do when faced with an eye pencil and a web cam. She's inventive, but still realistic and shames gossip magazines which although is a lucrative business and probably generates its fair share of revenue is all the same depressing and demeaning to all involved.









1 comment:

  1. I adore Marina! When I found out she was doing more of her own thing and promoting feminism and confidence, I got even more excited. It's refreshing to see artists breaking some of the pop culture norms for a good cause.

    ReplyDelete