I have been nominated by the very sweet Selina who hails all the way from Finland and her self titled blog (Selina.) She inspired me to try my hand at drawing a little more for my blog in the sense of fashion and she has an amazing sense of home decor. Literally; the home screen for my computer is an image of her mantle piece shown above. I am such a creep it is not even funny anymore. Anyway,there's a very personal touch about her blog and also the second nominator for Liebster Award. I always like to think this name and idea originated from Germany or somewhere exotic where I would struggle to read and pronounce anything correctly...
Also nominated by Emily who is from New Zealand, runs some really cool DIYs on her blog (which I recommend) and was still determined to fashion blog when her leg was in a cast. There was the misfortune of breaking her ankle. The DIYs have a clay theme polymer, charm-making theme and she's made cool planetary themed bracelets and Valentine's Day Heart candy earrings... There's a wild sense of colour and she also got her septum pierced which is something I consider every now and again. You go girl. She also went to see Grimes and I think she is pretty cool for running the blog Strong Punch. She got Dr Martens for Christmas.
This is the second round of Liebster so let's get the ball rolling, shall we? I'm combining both sets of questions together with weird photographs that I don't own so if they belong to you and you're upset just let me know where I can link the image source to! Let's all hold hands and try not to get lost along this epic journey I would like us to undertake like an embarrassing family vacation to a museum in a poky hidey hole or something like that.
- The award is for bloggers with less than 200 followers
- The nominees must link back to the blogger who awarded them
- If you are nominated write 11 random facts about yourself and answer the 11 questions written by the blogger who nominated you
- Make up 11 new questions to be answered and nominate 11 other bloggers!
- I am entering the second year of a Science Degree at university doing a double minor in Biology and majoring in Geoscience. (yay for pretty gemstones and animals <3)
- I really want to learn how to knit and become a self-sufficient grandmother making sweaters with ridiculously long sleeves and cowl scarves. Also buy handmade wool on Etsy.
- I dream of having hair like a My Little Pony figurine but without it falling out.
- I have been in a relationship with my awesome boyfriend for more than two and a half years now!
- I have at least twenty issues of Australian Vogue in my room due to years of subscriptions (thanks Mom).
- When I see a cat I have to meow at it at or pat it in a vain attempt to brainwash it into following me home.
- This is my third blog from this service and like everyone else I have a Tumblr which is a bit more like cupcake icing, sugary goodness and more cats.
- I started this blog to catalogue all the pretty things I liked and then it branched out into a blah whatever I don't need to justify this post thing. Sorry for the mess.
- I have had eight rabbits and I want more when I move out. There names in order are Cocoa, Flopsy, Tabby, Sam, Delilah, Harry, Ronald, Herbert and Luna (all deceased).
- I have studied three Shakespearean plays all thanks to high school: Hamlet, Macbeth and Romeo + Juliet.
- I love wearing nail polish and decorating my nails. Also candlelit dinners, samba music and long walks on the beach.
- Who is your favourite movie character?
This is a little difficult because no one springs to mind immediately... and I don't want the character to be in a novel either since that feels like cheating. Just an exclusive member of the film character club. Well I most recently watched Wes Anderson's "The Darjeeling Limited" and my favourite of the three brothers was Jack played by Jason Schwartzman and his emphatic screaming "STOP INCLUDING ME!". After which he then sprayed his two older brothers with pepper spray. That feels like a reflection of my poor relationships with people sometime. Overlooking the sordid affairs and engagement his character had with women, in the movie he wrote beautifully in a notebook. I enjoyed the way he tried to engage and make art from personal turmoil.
- What do you think is the best thing about you?
My best friend described me as the most driven person she's ever met which is the tallest-order compliment I've been told to my face. So I guess it's my willingness to do things, create and achieve academically that I like. I don't use a 'rocketship mantra' or anything. I just think of the goals for the future, the people I want to make proud to fuel my ambition. I was depressed in high school and thought about my funeral a lot and I still sort of do; I want people to say they were proud to know me at my funeral and feel like they were better for having known me. It's a macabre look on motivation but funnily it works for me.
- What song you can not listen to without crying? Or do you have one?
'Ocean' by The John Butler Trio- it's completely without lyrics and played on acoustic guitar weighing in at a massive twelve minutes long. That was meant to sound like a wrestling match introduction. Moving on... the song just builds up from such humble beginnings and then gets completely out of control but the art is so subtle you don't realise till the guitar sounds possessed with energy, bouncing off the walls. And it fills everything you are in that moment if you offer yourself to the experience. I can see the guitar strings when I close my eyes and the mood it evokes, the spirit of the song fills your lungs and finds a way into your blood. It's something really special that I only reserve it for special times.
- What magic power would you want if you could have one?
Oh my god I obsessed over having magic powers I LOVE THIS QUESTION. I also desperately wanted to be special when I was in primary school- a hidden and power or talent that I could use to command respect which was so sought over at the age of seven. Or social ladder climbing.
I used to think about super powers every night as I went to bed inspired my Japanese Manga of ordinary school girls with secret double lives. I would want to be a Sailor Scout; probably Sailor Venus who attacked with orange balls of energy lightning in the television series and because then I could branch out into a crusader for feminism. She had the Venus symbol for heaven's sake! She also had long, shimmering hair with a bow. If I was like her but not fighting evil monsters then I could chill and drink hot chocolate with a white talking cat named Artemis and take selfies. What a dream come true.
- If you'd get three wishes what would you wish for?
The first wish is for a clean room. That sounds super lame but I've never had a clean room and then I could build it up to the ultimate haven for creative genius- half studio space, half reading sanctuary, half study area, half bed sheet magical fort. I am so bad at maths as well. I have no maths skills and am also more boring than I thought. Excellent.
The second wish would probably be an instant mermaid tail grown at will so I could swim forever and not die if I was ever shipwrecked and stranded in the middle of the ocean. I'm leaning towards a blue tail with lots of sparkles at the moment. That would look the coolest with black lipstick. I could probably rule Tumblr with an iron fist as well- sharing selfies with the world. What blogger wouldn't want that?
Third wish spent shall be spent on owning all of Josh Goot's collections of the last three years in my size. Because I am a poor student and can't afford five hundred dollar silk vests or leather bomber jackets for one thousand dollars. But I still covet them. Oh my gosh do I covet them.
- Who/what is the most beautiful thing you have ever seen?
To make things easier I am going to interpret this as an 'In Real Life' situation to avoid naming a model or something. Because I haven't really seen them myself so that feels like a farce. I could be cheesy and name my significant other, Hamish, but instead I am going to please my inner child and say Disneyland California at night. I went on the teacups when the fairy lights were lit up and I just bought my Mousketeer hat. I was so happy I'm surprised I didn't secret some sort of messy substance I was so pants-wettingly excited.
- If you could be anyone in the world for a day, who would you be?
Again there is the burning temptation and agony to be cheesy with my response... ARGH! OK- throwing it out there and being really, really unprofessional I would like to be Tavi during New York Fashion Week. But in saying that I don't want to imitate her style and become her, I just love her fairy tale, Cinderella story and how the fashion world fell in love with her and she was still in middle school. She faced the same challenges about being harassed and not conforming to common trends for other people her age and people just took to her. I can't figure out how to draw people in unless I have food or something with me. Sparkly brownies OK with everyone? Will that get me into Fashion Week?
- What is your favourite language?
I adore Japanese- it's super cute and the sound isn't as harsh as some other Asian languages I've heard. Phonically it doesn't have a romanticism but it acts like a key to a mysterious fairy world of antiques and fine silk. If I could just intuitively know and speak Japanese, then I could watch Manga, buy cute clothes online and source the coolest stationary before it hits the Western world. Then I would be set for life. I don't want to learn a language in university though- it sounds like a harrowing experience fraught with even tougher learning experiences.
- What do you hate?
I try not to hate anything as a rule of thumb- if you don't like something surely you can direct your energy in a more positive and healthy manner. Responses are fine but I like a creative spur filled with sunshine and happiness instead. But to not dodge the question, I do not like snide and rude people. If you fall into that category then it is my solemn duty to tell you that you suck. Also cringe-worthy situations you can't get out of like an express bus and someone trying to start deep and meaningful conversation about HTML codes. Yeah I had that this year. My stranger danger sense can only tingle for so long and forty minutes of guarded chit chat is exhausting.
- Alone or in company?
If I want to be creative and get things done then I like being alone. When I'm alone in my own world there's an acute alarm of time-wasting and being unproductive. It's then I get the most things done whether that is writing, drawing or blogging. In company means I have to entertain and mind what I say and be engaging. Alone I can dress or do what I like without arousing suspicion. Sometimes I do need to cuddle though to get the creative juices flowing again, and sitting next to my boyfriend is perfect for that. I feel like such a needy and pushy cat the way I cuddle next to him. The only conclusion I can draw from both these feelings is that I am a lone wolf that is needy and longs to be part of the wolf pack.
- What was your last dream -that you can remember- about?
I was attending a Hunger Games sort of academy/ fight club for youths but we were fighting through transforming into animals ( I was an Animagus like from Harry Potter!) I was turn into a silver wolf and biting people and also an American condor clawing with my talons and there were assassins in black or something crazy like that. At the end of it we all got medals but I got two of them since I was two animals. Although I was in the dream it was like watching a movie and I could see myself, a third person point of view.
- What is your favourite season?It's easier to live through Spring and Autumn because there are days when you can either layer up or show a little more skin (tastefully). It's more comfortable to the human body at approximately twenty degrees Celsius so I like those days. Summer and Winter are the seasons where you dress out of necessity and I hate the way that hampers creativity give me a boring day with a moderate temperature and moderate sunshine any day. Summer just drives my crazy, like it is not at the moment.
- What do you want to do with your life?
Well as a child I worked towards being a veterinarian, saving animals getting first dibs on the cutest shelter rescue pets and all that but now it seems like I'll be working for the mining industry. Even as the boom begins to wind down there's money to be made. I would like to be, either an environmental Geoscientist and create solutions to clean up abandoned and hazardous site. Or an expert on dinosaurs or past lifeforms, sitting around in a museum all day with periodic lunch breaks. Palaeontology is really difficult to get into.
And in my dreams I would grade and look at gemstones looking for a partnership with an up and coming jewellery designer like Nick Von K from New Zealand but I doubt that will happen in a billion years.
- If you could meet anyone in the world who would it be?
I would love to meet Petra Collins and be friends with her- her style of photography is so dreamy but not heavily drenched in a filter colour. There's also the strong portrayal of female figures in a variety of situations, each with a sparkle of bewitching charm. She also pretty much invented the Rookie Mag Crown so she must have some interesting ideas in that head full of bouncy curls.
- What is your favourite store to shop at?
I love browsing on Etsy because my general feeling after being ripped off so many times from eBay is that it is now full of scumbags which is a shame. I also like milling around the second hand shops around my area and boutiques in Melbourne like Lenko and Alice Euphemia in the Cathedral Arcade. Lenko is full of cute and nice sales girls with a distinct homegrown atmosphere and encouragement of art since they did stock cameras and stuff in the past.With paper chains and huge curtains made of patchwork blankets. Unf. It's a little more cheap too compared to Alice Euphemia next door.
- What do you think of your home town?
Strictly speaking I live in the outer suburbs just over half an hour from the city of Melbourne in Australia although there isn't the white picket fence you get from Stepford Wives. You do tend to bump into everyone a lot when you finish high school and go to the supermarket or something but it's not that difficult to find good, live music or bands either. It's sort of a purgatorial in between place that is dull and dreary at times but also close and cosy. Seeing people you know from school or extra-curricular activities does make things hard though especially when exploring fashion blogging since I would like to dress like a unicorn everyday but my hometown makes me feel a little self-conscience on style reflecting my inner personality. It's not that cool to be weird; you can be weird but not too weird you know? I tend to hate that.
- What would be your ultimate holiday?
At the moment there are talks going on with my boyfriend about Fiji and relaxing there on a package deal. I am also negotiating with my mother on going to Japan which may in fact turn to Hong Kong. I'm keen to explore Japan and see the Studio Ghibli Museum. There are so many small plastic knick knacks and cool toys in Japan as well as Kawaii style so I would love to immerse myself in that vibe for a few weeks. So that's probably my own, personal ultimate holiday would be going to Japan with an empty suitcase and returning with it full but there's always the danger of buying pieces overseas that don't integrate well into your other wardrobe which would also suck...
- Who or what inspired you to start blogging?
The best explanation for this journey is that I got bored. I got bored, bought a chunky edition of Vogue as I went to rural dairy farms for work experience and looked over some articles. I then entered certain things into search engines such as obscure jewellery brands and I constantly found my way back to a blogspot used as a store's website. That kind of changed my life. I always loved writing and this put me in a position to begin to share that with other people. Also seeing what other people have written before me pushes me to become the best version of myself.
- What is your favourite film?
I have no idea. Seriously films don't appeal to me that much and nothing really grabs me and stays with me. Unless it's a horror movie. Then that night I stare at my ceiling awake and praying monsters don't eat me or something. If I really liked films, then I would try to watch more stuff by Wes Anderson and Sofia Coppola to transform the ordinary world I see everyday into an extraordinary paradigm or something like that.
- What are you good at?
Eating. Eating food to be processed in my bottomless pit of a stomach. Bring on the next question.
- Do you have any pets?At the moment I sadly have no pets. I have had one guinea pig and eight rabbits. I would like to have pets again in the future though once I figure out how to move out from home and whether I'll rent/ be in an apartment/ move around due to a job or whatever.
- Are you a cat or a dog person?I would like the drama of having a cat and taking weird pictures of them and generally being annoying to them, but that makes me sound like I am more likely to own a dog. I will own a cat one day though, even it if pisses off my significant other because I've always wanted one and they look silly and brilliant. Silly and brilliant things are the best.
- How important is blogging to you?
- If given the chance to time travel,what time period would you live in and why?
- Do you keep a dairy as well as a blog?
- What childhood cartoon really grabbed you?
- Do you have any tattoos or piercings? Funny stories? If not, are you considering any piercings or tattoo designs?
- What do your close family and friends think of your style and clothes?
- What fictional character would be your best friend in real life?
- What is one piece of clothing you didn't buy that you really regret?
- What do you do for a living? Did your parents push you into anything?
- Do you think dinosaurs are cool?
- What hairstyle could you wear for the rest of your life and why?