Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Blond

Image Source: Unknown

Image Source: Antipodium

Image Source: The Virgin Suicides (1999)

Image Source: Unknown
 
I think now that the world is getting over its general scrutiny of blonds through discrimination by means of hair colour, and there is more liberation amongst wild and wacky shades tentative fence-sitters such as myself can feel righteous about choosing in the rainbow of colours. Oh sure, there are the juvenile and immature taunts of unfortunate "dumb blond" jokes to deflect, but I would hope to feel confident in shaking off such crude wails about my own appearance- because at the end of the day who does it really affect? There is one group's criticism I have never been and will never be good immune from: that of my wolf pack- my family and close friends. For as long as I do something drastic to change my appearance they will cringe with an unwelcome expression on their face. But surely changes are normal, right? We accept puberty as this glorious 'rite of passage' where we don't feel like ourselves and are instead lost, looking for these new and strange adult identities. So, I think to myself, why not celebrate the tail end of the festivities with a little fireworks?

Image Source

Image Source

Image Source: Chloe Sevigny

Image Source: Ahmagad: 1960s edition. From superbomba.

Image Source: Adventure Time
I got streaks put in my hair that looked absolutely awful at the age of twelve, which in turn made me want to turn my back on those blackened plastic bottles of hair dye and all of their associated evil. I felt so hurt and scorned by their misdeeds their was no other sensible reaction to these very innocent inanimate objects. I always think, "but maybe this time will be different" and then the whole thing visually explodes horribly like pancake batter and I end up with proverbial egg on my face. Maybe I am mad instead, because surely that is the definition of madness: trying the same (wretched) thing over and over again yet expecting a new and different result. I am already well aware of my hairs' length status- following me around like a lost puppy everywhere I go and bordering on unmanageable. With that said, I think it's safe to say that the idea of a buzz cut is out of the question for me. Friends are used to my raven coloured and long hair, barely recognising those rare occasions when I do get a minor trim- and facing the slow decline of Summer into Autumn and then the cooler months I'll be totally defenceless against the cold winds and searing chill.

Image Source:
horreure: Marina Abramovic, The Artist is Present Portraits
Image Source: Unknown

Image Source

Image Source

Image Source

Image Source
I have already had a light-hearted chat with a hairdresser regarding what needs to be sacrificed to wear a gorgeous bottled colour, and it seems to be everything I value and love about my own hair: length. But the fashion world endures many changes: I can vividly remember when my blogging role model and hero Tavi Gevinson wore shades of red, dull blue and grey in her infamous faux old movement. Her more recent appearances have her sporting a sweet and natural tincture of blond that goes so well with recreated styles of the 1970s and striped cut-off denim shorts. I think the ability to reinvent one's self a and image; being able to stay relevant and exciting to an international audience is something that is helped along by these changes we make in our lives. I just want to be able to share in these fantastic moments and put myself on a platter to be eaten up- have hair clash with my clothing and schedule emergency appointments when it all falls apart. I want the drama and maintenance of having something shocking about my appearance!

Image Source

Image Source: Disney

Image Source

Image Source

Image Source
I think part of the social stigma that faces blonds may be due to a lack of representation in the population. If I learnt anything from last semester's horrible Statistics unit, it's hat a sample size is a number's game. We see someone with blond hair and generally the higher percentage it's not a natural blond either. So that means this person puts a little effort into how they look. Now this is when things get messy: because doing something nice for yourself and trying to look trendy can sometimes be interpreted as being pretentious; which is tragic when this isn't the case. Could trying to do something nice for yourself and exciting be all that bad and cause so much trouble? There's the mold of: "girls can't be pretty and smart at the same time" and even the most glorified queen bee, fake tan ladies of my graduate year in high school who had brains seemed to be ashamed of their intelligence. And here I am, years later, shaking my head and wondering why it is they do it; afraid they might frighten guys off by making them feel small. Well I'm sorry, but if a boy doesn't appreciate your IQ and potential to be the beautiful blond breadwinner of a relationship - then they never deserved you in the first place.

Image Source

Image Source: suicideblonde- Chloe Sevigny

Image Source

Image Source: The Virgin Suicides (1999)

Image Source: Tavi Gevinson on The Colbert Report

Image Source:
retrogirly: Etta James

For those who do not know me personally, 1.) Lucky you and 2.) Know that behind a facade of neutral expressions and pretty clothes I am in secret a scheming deviant. So while I wear the pretense of lusting after blond hair I would really love something more along the lines of soft lime green hair and then cover up the whole incident as a bad brush with chlorinated water. How unfortunate and unexpected... Muahaha. But seriously, that may actually work on my parents who I still live with and stuff. Although I have passed the age where I am enrolled on the electoral roll, expressing myself in my TRUE sense of style is strictly forbidden. What a joke. But you never know- my mind seems to change as frequently as the weather in my hometown of Melbourne, the city of 'four seasons in one day'. And being a bottle blond may come to grow on my and build character. It would certainly create a different facet of myself to look after and maintain this school year, other than the academic and book worm girl that tends to take over.

Image Source:

Image Source: Tavi Gevinson

Image Source
Image Source

Image Source

1 comment:

  1. Holy crap Elle Fanning is totally Bjork..
    xx Domenic

    STYLEHUNTINGCLUB.COM

    ReplyDelete