Thursday, November 15, 2012

Books



My love of reading was seeded at the tender age of four, when I successfully spoiled the end to the children's book, 'Who Sank The Boat?' in kindergarten after having had the very book read to me the night before. I can only imagine that this put my teacher off reading this book for quite some time, as well as myself as a small and undeveloped person. As I recall, I shouted 'THE MOUSE! THE MOUSE!!' after my teacher carefully read each page slowly and deliberately to the rest of my class mates; I was too busy feeling snooty and intelligent at the time to notice. I gloated and had the 'I told you so' mentality at the end of the book and was nothing short of stand up and dancing around in circle story time.



Aside from being superior and getting to lord over all the other pre-schoolers in my group, reading often gives me a shelter away from the real world. When distracted by decisions I've made and that trouble me, I find launching into the plot of a good book can often cause to me think about life far differently than I otherwise would and I also have the apathetic tendency to think about the complication the protagonist faces in their own little fantasy world. Rowling transferred her feelings of abandonment and bitterness after he death of a parent into the wizard orphan boy Harry Potter; I think this nicely encapsulates the close attachments between author and the characters they create. In a similar way, the reader also joins the characters on their journey and has their own favourites and theories as to what will happen in the pre-determined future of the text.


1 comment:

  1. I LOVE READING YOUR BLOG! I think you look cool. Thank you for being born! May god bless you more. remain sweet and stay golden.

    ReplyDelete