Saturday, August 4, 2012

The Liebster Tag Award

"This award is all about discovering new blogs, and helping blogs with fewer that 200 followers be recognised. How lovely!"
- I am far too lazy to do this properly, so these are my answers to FlorenceScarlet of The Prosperous Flower.



1. Where in the world would you most like to visit? Why?
I'm dreaming of escaping to Japan; as well as a rich culture and history behind it there are so many quirky girls in outlandish outfits to photograph everyday. There's also the challenge of trying to communicate in a region where English isn't the first spoken language as well as a sink-or-swim situation in which learning Japanese fast is a necessity. I've been pretty obsessed with Kawaii trends including big headed Blythe dolls, dressing up and clashing patterns and drinking tea by the bucket load in order to stave off hunger between lectures. The land of the rising sun is cool, young, hip and has the Studio Ghibli Museum awaiting my arrival along with many plastic curiosities to collect and anime animals... it makes my mouth water already.



2. What are the 3 staple items in your wardrobe?
I can't survive without wearing a toasty duffel coat made of wool and in Navy to wear in this chilly Melbourne weather, my mother bought it for me and the last twenty-four hours have been a traumatic struggle in which I left it in our work place's tea room and my mother insisted that everyone I worked with was a dirty, penny-pinching scoundrel and thief.

Although I have felt elated with gorgeous photo shoots in which new bell bottom pants have been manufactured as well as traditional denim Levi's flares from the 1970s worn with gypsy and frilly white cropped tops I'm more at home when I wear skinny jeans that hug around my legs shaped with hours of running a week. I'd love to be more of a wild child and burnt out on vintage trends of bygone era but I don't quite admire the thick waist bands of today's newly made bell bottoms and vintage flares in my size, i.e. that aren't grossly petite and small are the holy grail of clothing in my world. That, and a good pointy witches hat.

All week long I have proudly worn a hand-knitted scarf made with love from my boyfriend's maternal grandmother from that belonged to wool of his deceased paternal grandmother. I've only owned it for seven shirt days but I really do love it's soft woolen texture, the fringed effect at each end as well as the deliberate knots that would have taken a novice such as myself many hours to perfect. That's one good thing about being 'adopted' so readily by someone else's family, they can be loving and polite to you without the actual dysfunctional nature of a real-working family. I was pretty delighted to hear from our most senior member at work as well as my boyfriend that miscommunication amongst family members is quite ordinary and part of everyday life.


3. What is your favourite book?
'Johnny and the Bomb' by English author Terry Pratchett is by far the best and easily engaging book I've come across; I love time travel in general and the plot revolves around a mad lady with a time machine/ shopping trolley that a young school boy stumbles across with a gang of unlikely lads and female protagonist that changes her name routinely. I've read widely across Pratchett's work and he mainly writes about the imaginary world of Disc which sits on top of four elephants on the celestial sea turtle the great A'Tuin. Johnny and the Bomb though is more science fiction and also features some war time history for me to digest a little, Johnny is lovable and he apologises when ladies run over his heels with shopping trolleys and is generally the perfect pacifist. He's just a bit adorable mess really.

4. Your favourite film?
I'm actually embarrassingly out of touch when it comes to film and being cultured, but a text I was forced to study during Literature was really something special and stands out in a meaningful way which is always comforting; Persepolis by Marjane Satrapi, an Iranian women coming to gripes with seclusion from her family while suffering in the Western world as well as a patchwork of feminist ideals. The movie is actually based on a couple of comic books she released and the movie is an animated biography of Satrapi's life from her childhood to adulthood. It wasn't all about political bloodshed of her family or the war in Iran, I was touched by her struggle of living in a Western world and finding her sense of identity. When I'm feeling low, I watch the short clip of her once again working out, maintaining her personal hygiene and singing Survivor's, 'Eye of the Tiger'.

5. Necklaces or rings?
Rings! Reading the December 2009 Issue of Vogue Australia changed my life for the better when New Zealand Model Zippora Seven shared her own personal style of ripped tights, Dr Martens boots and feminine dresses with the editors as well as an eclectic mish-mash of rings. I feel naked when I've run out of the house without them and mainly wear some on my left thumb and forefinger but my favourites are Alex Monroe Daisy Chain ring, Stolen Girlfriends Club Bow Ring and Meadowlark stud ring in silver. I can live without wearing necklaces and don't feel vulnerable without them, but I do like wearing them for a bolder statement and injection of colour for styling outfits for this blog.




6. Your favourite perfume?
I've always wanted to own Viktor and Rolf's Flowerbombmoney at that right time I am still fruitless in my search for that sweet floral bouquet. I don't pay much attention to perfume anymore; I wore perfume religiously while in high school and not being tied down to any particular man (i.e. being without any dates or boyfriends and alone) but it seems like an awful lot of effort these days when there is no real reason to try and attract the opposite sex anymore. My mood is invigorated with a good cup of flavoured tea rather than a spritz of scent around my neck and collar bones.

7. Describe your daily routine?
I wake up at about seven each morning, get a bus at about eight and am at university for a good portion of the day. Those rare occasions when I am not catching a bus at eight I study and go over notes until I do have to leave and sometimes bring my laptop with me to blog tirelessly or watch episodes of Daria. I work part time as a basketball referee so some days I head home and then get ready for that generally ready to collapse into bed. I miraculously manage to blog in between and collect images and write down what I wear in my Bambi diary so I can stage them at a later date when I'm free from this usual daunting schedule and when my hair tends to look better. I enjoy a good cup of tea with lemon, painting my nails and listening to music repetitively so I in turn, ruin the experience for future reference. That about sums my life up at the moment.



8. Why did you start blogging?
I started blogging to sort of catalogue all the wonderful brands of clothing I came across, collections as well as images I inspired me as a neat and carbon friendly way of recording the way I felt in pictures about the world around me and then it became progressively centred around fashion. It's been a while since I last staged my own photo shoots on here but I enjoy doing that now as well as wearing my clothes with a bit of finesse and flair channeled into my everyday boring routine. It's a nice release to come home with aching legs, a hot cup of tea in front of me and a keyboard to thoroughly massacre and mash with surgical precision every now and then and when I do have money I can always return to buy those pieces that I did love so much. Blogging is my own personalised diary/ catalogue of all the best bits I come across, mainly through the Internet. It also places me in a remote and safe place to discover like minded people and discuss/ share ideals about clothing and style as well as personal life experiences and that is pretty cool if you ask me.


9. Where would you like to be in 10 years time?
In ten years time, I imagine myself retired in a small English village solving murder mysteries with potted plants in the front yard and a dozen or so cats. A small bicycle to cart these cats around and to pick fruit would also be cute and fit in with this quaint cottage picture and prematurely-retired vision. The world's fastest Internet connection, a high capability of images to upload and a web page layout which a mere mortal such as myself can navigate would all be frightfully wonderful but in ten years time I will have to simply be content with moving out of home with a nice guy and perhaps working as an accessor of jewel quality for a New Zealand brand such as Nick Von K and garnering a collection of hand made jewels that use animal motifs as well as Oujia board pointers and skulls.



10. What is your favourite food?
I've been really obsessed with Nutella lately since I came back from a few days away on the beach (in Winter) with my girlfriends from high school; when I'm in automatic zombie mode I have instant coffee and Nutella on toast before my brain can function properly and my eyes switch on properly. If this questionnaire hasn't impressed on you enough, I am an uncultured and typical hipster- not embarrassed of it or proud either but maybe one day I'll embrace this secret side of my life and style.

11. Your favourite flower?
I enjoy a good set of orchids, or failing that, tiger lilies. Arum lilies are unorthodox, but it's still sweet when my boyfriend brings me some to work and I have to wait till the end of the shift to bring the home or even his assembled fake flowers with pink ribbons.

1 comment: