Monday, March 12, 2012

Karla Spetic AW12

I commonly associate pieces from the Karla Spetic collection as well-crafted and luxury with an artistic flair. The Dreamer Autumn/ Winter 2010 featured water-colour motifs printed on silk blazers as well as matching skirts and a variety of pastel coloured knits. This new and fresh collection features a mixture of bold primary colours as well as 1960s vivid cartoon figures printed on to skirts and bodices alike. Within this new 2012 collection for Autumn/ Winter there are a range of different designs incorporating leopard print, bold horizontal stripes and  colour-blocked organza. Oddly enough, I can still see the common-thread and fundamental element of design that belongs to Karla Spetic among all the pieces, which is only enhanced by a single model used against a stark white background to show off the vivid colour and different personas of the collection.

I'm sure an inventive seamstress with experience could easily fashion shirts in mismatched, colour-blocked sections just as Karla Spetic has done, but you would do well to find any other brand who can generate such a simple and chic design. I was surprised to see the leopard printed pants be made to work well with so many different pieces and elements of design- or whether these unconventional clashes were due to the limited coloured bottoms for the collection. Either way, it seems to have worked well in favour of this designer. As of late I have tried to find pieces that both challenge the boundaries of design but fit seamlessly into my wardrobe and against the odds, it seems leopard print could be my saviour. It can either be done well in such a way that there's a chic/glam element to it or for pure punk aesthetic- otherwise I find it looks tiresome and trashy.

If I were to ever hedge myself in to the business of board rooms, conference calls and important economic presentations I wouldn't mind having a sweet collection of cool suits to keep me dry in pastel shades. Contrast between a shocked and half-hidden cartoon face and that jacket draped around the shoulders of the model is a slice of heaven- and I badly want in on the action. While the matching trousers in lilac are as equally lovely and lust worthy, the contrast of crisp white plants and dapper brown shoes with a worn and weather tone about them are also gorgeous. This look is one of my favourites from the entire photo shoot collection- and that's saying something considering there are a variety of different but also sweet outfits abundant.

The stand out designs of the collection is the Andy Warhol-esque comic book motifs in dramatic close-ups with conventions; though bubbles from female characters and glossy, tear-filled eyes. I love the matching between the heavy lashes of the figure shown on the skirt above as well as the use of thick streaks of eyeliner of the model; both used to emphasise large eyes. It's something I haven't seen before; the melding of such sharp images in a define artistic sense for clothing. There have been plenty adoptions of cosmic designs printed onto dresses as of late as well as familiar and abstract swirls of colour on silk jackets but the comic book notion is really challenging the limits of modern design. At university and as part of the faculty of Science , we are told to challenge ideas and discover things within our respective fields- this is one of the few admirable and common ties I see between my keen interest for unusual fashion and rigid science degree. I'd love to see a tuxedo blouse combination and jacket worn with this skirt for extra quirk and a challenging bowler hat too. My brother's fascination with Batman and my own sense of adventure must be getting the best of me.

The match made between black hot pants and a sweeping sheer skirt in crimson red and draped coat all seems very superhero to me- it must be the common association between bright red underpants worn on the outside and heroics.
My favourite childhood colour was this particular shade of red- something that brightens up the day and mood of everyone whom you affect and has a special energy to it. I don’t often drape jackets around my shoulders when walking out and about- it tends to make me feel more vulnerable when my arms are inhibited, but perhaps for the purpose of photo shoots it’s a style I should adopt more often. I shouldn't think that my hands need to be busy with anything, other than the occasional pose showing off all my rings clustered on one hand.

As much as I do admire the intrepid designs of Karla Spetic and the pop culture appeal of their latest collections, I think the miniature comic book motifs fell short in terms of aesthetic appeal when compared to their larger counter parts. One of the cliché factors of 1960s comic books is the drama and close-up emotive captions of characters and without the dramatization of fictional characters; the dress is nothing more than a patterned dress. That’s not to detract from the wonderful choice of colour palette for the dresses as well as the contrasting pieces in bright red- mixtures of canary yellow, tomato red, monochrome black and white as well as stylised dots to create pixels always goes together when recreating something in such a stylised tone. It’s made all the more fascinating by the sharp and jarring cheekbones of the model, her intense stare as well as the mass of her hair pushed over to one side which I quite like- curtains of hair are one of my favourite effects, despite the fact it would otherwise look like an exaggerated comb-over. 

Spetic's 2010 Autumn/ Winter collection, I think a different girl showing off the pieces with stronger jawline and slightly wilder hair was a good decision. It really does make the sharp pleats and colours of the collection seem brighter and bolder.

Amongst all the teenage frenzy for vampire dramas, television series, movies and novels I became disillusioned with vibrant red as well as suave characters with voices like melted velvet. The new Tim Burton release of 1970s and a cursed vampire is cautiously restoring my optimism in the dark and occult creatures. There's plenty of sharp suits and lines to be had which brings me to this brilliant crimson combination of shirt and covetable pocketed coat. I love the monochrome colour and the vibrant colour that the camera has captured from it, and the end of the outfit with rustic, brown leather brogues. It's good to see a pair of fantastically patterned leggings coming from a brand other than Black Milk, and with such a strong pop art aesthetic about them. I would love to pair them with the Lazy Oaf X Underground creepers and a baggy jumper personally...

For every Karla Spetic collection, there seems to be a single shining example of a Little Black Dress and you wonder how they can possibly keep creating such unique dresses that seem so simplistic and safe as well. I have been tempted these last few days to treat myself to a pair of hot pants and wear them over tights for a little more modesty, but I think what I really need is a cute sheer skirt to skate across my legs and end at my knees to drive all the old men crazy. The bodice of the dress seems so relaxed and simple, so much like a muscle shirt for working out but instead feminine and aristocratic at the same time. Once again, very different in design and materials used from their black dresses of the 2010 AW collection, I love this dress equally. Sheer and velvet are among my favourite vintage materials so scout out on second hand stores so it's a pleasure to see black dresses made in their image. I could use with a little more little black dresses in my wardrobe, simply with the excuse that I can never really have enough.

My favourite weapon against the constant onslaught of cold weather are thick and cosy jumpers. The bold stripes woven in between a mohair-texture could be worn at night for an eye-popping statement, but just as easily can be worn with jeans for a casual day at university (as I frequently do when I'm in a low key mood). Karla Spetic is a brand that isn't afraid to dabble in experimentation when it comes to expensive fabrics, but I do like the move towards more gentile pieces. Owning gorgeous clothes is not much good when you can't show them off to other people and the world (clashing patterns like leopard and stripes seems like a common way to grab attention too).

While I already have a leopard print dress and many other items in the pattern on my wish list of things to buy, I wouldn't mind clashing those tailored pants with a good vintage faux fur coat in a wild colour or other crazy pattern. Dalmatian print and various shades of blue and pink are what I dream of when looking at vintage pieces online- it must be that exciting combination of tribal elements and hunting that makes me blood boil. While I won't be ready to purchase anything from this collection quite yet, it's wonderful to see Karla Spetic producing more great clothing and hedging out a name in the Australian market.

No comments:

Post a Comment