Saturday, January 7, 2012

Space is the Place

When things get too boring on this tiny little rock of ours, remember there is a whole world outside our atmosphere and in the stars above and that space is the place. While we all can't be blessed with near perfect scores on every single test and being chosen as an astronaut it is possible to be able to read about the celestial in science fiction books as well as the factual. I am lucky enough to live in a home with such large print books as 'Astrology', as well as 'Build your own Telescope' and my personal favourite: 'The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.'

I love the old 1960s scene of what seems to be clumsy and clunky space suits as well as the Apollo moon lander. One of my favourite episodes of Doctor Who revolves around this time period and how much The Doctor loves the 'cool' astro gear. As part of my study in Year Eleven Physics we were told to learn the names of each moon cycle and it's shadowy picture but with further study involving difficult calculus I can't quite get my head around studying space and galaxies, despite the interesting factual data.

Galaxy Jar Illustration: Sha'an d'Anthes
http://furrylittlepeach.tumblr.com


If I had not been deterred by the flaky art teacher that had been bestowed upon my class in Year Eight as well as her overbearing and nasally voice I may have taken a greater interest in drawing and being able to command colour as the illustrator of this piece had done. It would be great to be able to perform water colour as well as mixing shades of purple, blues and reds.

 
This is one of the more gorgeous tattoos I've seen and after having a little chat with my boyfriend's high school friend a tattoo on your back may not hurt as much being more meat on your bone so to speak then say, the top of your foot. I'm wary of coloured tattoos eventually losing their colours so if I was that way inclined something in black shading would be better and the different stages of the moon looks so gorgeous as well as the intricate detail of each crater and it's not just the same design repeated over and over again. In the car we reached the conclusion that tattoos can be art and tasteful but otherwise trashy and this is really something I would love penned on myself... if I was unable to feel any pain and dead on the inside that is.

2 comments:

  1. Hi there.

    I am the illustrator of the galaxy jar illustration. Please either credit me or take the image down. Thank you.

    Sha'an d'Anthes
    http://furrylittlepeach.tumblr.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keep up the good work Sha'an you cool kid and water painter you

    ReplyDelete